The laws of motion - rock sliding on a roof

In summary: Thanks!I can find the correct answer now!When the rock reaches its highest point, it will have achieved its maximum height.
haha1234
The laws of motion -- rock sliding on a roof

Homework Statement

One side if the roof of a house slopes up at 37.0°.A roofer kicks a round,flat rock that has been thrown onto the roof by a neighborhood child.The rock slides straight up the incline with an initial speed of 15ms-1.The coefficient of kinetic friction between the rock and the roof is 0.400.The rock slides 10.0m up the rock and the roof crosses the ridge and goes into free fall, following a parabolic trajectory above the far side of the roof,with negligible air resistance.Determine the maximum height the rock reaches above the point where it was kicked.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Are there anything wrong?
Let the maximum height the rock reaches above the point where it was kicked be h.
1/2mv2=mgh+fs
1/2m(15)2=9.8mh+0.4xmx9.8xcos37°x10

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the acceleration the rock will undergo while sliding up the roof ? From this calculate the velocity of the rock just before it leaves the roof. What do you get ?

Edit :You can also approach this problem using Work Energy concepts .

Last edited:
Angles are not measured in degrees Celsius.

haha1234 said:
Let the maximum height the rock reaches above the point where it was kicked be h.
1/2mv2=mgh+fs
1/2m(15)2=9.8mh+0.4xmx9.8xcos37x10
That looks right to me.

haha1234 said:
Are there anything wrong?
1/2mv2=mgh+fs

Does the rock have any kinetic energy when it reaches maximum height?

TSny said:
Do I still get to keep my award for the year?:redface:

haruspex said:
Do I still get to keep my award for the year?:redface:

:smile: (Definitely!)

TSny said:

I think...no.
This is because all the energy will convert to potential energy.

haha1234 said:
I think...no.
This is because all the energy will convert to potential energy.

What would happen to the rock (which is traveling along a parabolic arc) if it came to rest at its highest point?

Attachments

• trajectory.gif
    trajectory.gif
    9.2 KB · Views: 582
Likes 1 person
TSny said:
What would happen to the rock (which is traveling along a parabolic arc) if it came to rest at its highest point?

Thanks!I can find the correct answer now!

Last edited:
SteamKing said:
Angles are not measured in degrees Celsius.
:rofl:

1. What are the three laws of motion?

The three laws of motion are:
1. An object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force.
2. The force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration (F=ma).
3. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How do these laws apply to a rock sliding on a roof?

In the case of a rock sliding on a roof, the first law of motion applies as the rock will continue to slide at a constant velocity until acted upon by an external force, such as friction or gravity. The second law of motion applies as the force of gravity acting on the rock causes it to accelerate down the roof. And the third law of motion applies as the rock exerts an equal and opposite force on the roof as it slides.

3. What factors affect the motion of the rock on the roof?

The motion of the rock on the roof can be affected by several factors, including the angle of the roof, the mass of the rock, the force of gravity, and the presence of any external forces, such as wind or friction.

4. Can the laws of motion be used to predict the exact path of the rock as it slides on the roof?

While the laws of motion can help us understand the general behavior of the rock sliding on the roof, it is difficult to predict the exact path of the rock as it is influenced by various factors, such as wind and friction, which can be unpredictable.

5. How can the laws of motion be applied to real-life situations?

The laws of motion have countless real-life applications, from understanding the motion of objects in space to designing vehicles and structures that can withstand external forces. In the case of a rock sliding on a roof, the laws of motion can help us understand the forces involved and how to prevent accidents or damage.