Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The man accused of setting up false suicide pacts

1. May 26, 2010 #1
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8683199.stm

It raises some interesting questions including freedom of speech.

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2010 #2
    Doesn't sound like a nurse I'd want at my bedside...

4. May 26, 2010 #3
    I would imagine that they probably do not have any records of the correspondence between him and the alleged victims which would make it rather difficult to prosecute. I am unsure if one could prosecute for persuading someone to commit suicide who was never actually persuaded to do so.

5. May 27, 2010 #4
    I'll be honest, I've told lots of people online to kill themselves. If they actually did kill themselves, how is that any different than what that guy has done?
    I could potentially be a mass murderer.

6. May 27, 2010 #5
    I took from the article that this person was going to sites set up to help people with it and then talking them into going into a pact with them to do it on date xyz. That's not the same as playing a game of cod and telling the guy who keeps owning you to ...

7. May 28, 2010 #6
    If they can prove he made the pacts, then by all means they should help him to do the right thing, fulfill his side of the contract. :devil:

8. May 28, 2010 #7
    Did you befriend them and enter into some kind of contract to kill yourself and thus put pressure on them to go through with it? Come on, use your brain!

9. May 29, 2010 #8
    No. I'll admit it is a little different. But is it the difference between him being a murderer who deserves life in prison and me just being some dork on the internet? I'd say he's just a bigger dork on the internet.

10. May 29, 2010 #9
    With all due respect, you are just describing an angry comment, as opposed to a real sicko who tries to prey on people.

11. May 31, 2010 #10
    inciting an underage to commit an unethical and illegal activity by playing on his/her emotions? how is that under freedom of speech?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook