The man accused of setting up false suicide pacts

  • Thread starter Thread starter rootX
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 2K views
rootX
Messages
481
Reaction score
4
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8683199.stm

A former nurse has appeared in court in the US charged with two counts of aiding suicide over the internet. But the case, which is one of the first of its kind, only came about because of the diligence and detective work of a woman in the UK.

It raises some interesting questions including freedom of speech.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn't sound like a nurse I'd want at my bedside...
 
I would imagine that they probably do not have any records of the correspondence between him and the alleged victims which would make it rather difficult to prosecute. I am unsure if one could prosecute for persuading someone to commit suicide who was never actually persuaded to do so.
 
I'll be honest, I've told lots of people online to kill themselves. If they actually did kill themselves, how is that any different than what that guy has done?
I could potentially be a mass murderer.
 
I took from the article that this person was going to sites set up to help people with it and then talking them into going into a pact with them to do it on date xyz. That's not the same as playing a game of cod and telling the guy who keeps owning you to ...
 
If they can prove he made the pacts, then by all means they should help him to do the right thing, fulfill his side of the contract. :devil:
 
leroyjenkens said:
I'll be honest, I've told lots of people online to kill themselves. If they actually did kill themselves, how is that any different than what that guy has done?
I could potentially be a mass murderer.

Did you befriend them and enter into some kind of contract to kill yourself and thus put pressure on them to go through with it? Come on, use your brain!
 
Mu naught said:
Did you befriend them and enter into some kind of contract to kill yourself and thus put pressure on them to go through with it? Come on, use your brain!

No. I'll admit it is a little different. But is it the difference between him being a murderer who deserves life in prison and me just being some dork on the internet? I'd say he's just a bigger dork on the internet.
 
leroyjenkens said:
No. I'll admit it is a little different. But is it the difference between him being a murderer who deserves life in prison and me just being some dork on the internet? I'd say he's just a bigger dork on the internet.

With all due respect, you are just describing an angry comment, as opposed to a real sicko who tries to prey on people.