The mapping to alternating tensors

In summary, the author is questioning why 1/k! is needed in Alt(T), which is defined as:\frac{1}{k!}\sum_{\sigma \in S_k} \mbox{sgn}\sigma T(v_{\sigma(1)},\cdots,v_{\sigma(k)})After removing 1/k!, the new \mbox{Alt}, \overline{\mbox{Alt}}, still satisfies \overline{\mbox{Alt}}(T)(v_1,\cdots,v_j,\cdots,v_i,\cdots,v_k)=-\overline{\
yifli
I'm wondering why [itex]1/k![/itex] is needed in Alt(T), which is defined as:
[tex]\frac{1}{k!}\sum_{\sigma \in S_k} \mbox{sgn}\sigma T(v_{\sigma(1)},\cdots,v_{\sigma(k)})[/tex]

After removing [itex]1/k![/itex], the new [itex]\mbox{Alt}[/itex], [itex]\overline{\mbox{Alt}}[/itex], still satisfies [itex]\overline{\mbox{Alt}}(T)(v_1,\cdots,v_i,\cdots,v_j,\cdots,v_k)=-\overline{\mbox{Alt}}(T)(v_1,\cdots,v_j,\cdots,v_i,\cdots,v_k)[/itex], which means [itex]\overline{\mbox{Alt}}[/itex] is an alternating tensor

Physics news on Phys.org
If T is alternating, then Alt(T)=T. This is not true with your new Alt.
Also, Alt(Alt(T))=Alt(T) does not remain true for your new Alt.

But if you do not care about those properties, i.e. if you just want a map and not a "projection", then you do not need it.

Indeed there is a sense in which this is artificial. I.e. the alternating tensor product is more naturally a quotient module than a submodule of the tensor product, and these properties do not make sense there.

I.e. the space of "tensors" on a vector space V, is really the dual of the tensor product of V with itself, and the space of alternating tensors is really the dual of the alternating tensor product. Moreover the dual of the tensor product is isomorphic to the tensor product of the dual, and the same for the alternating products.

But there is a completely natural "projection" from the tensor product of the duals to its quotient, the alternating product, and this natural projection does not correspond to the one above with the 1/k! in it.

I may be confused about this as it has been a long time, but it interested me a s a student and I worked it out this much. People writing about tensors as multilinear or alternating functions, are using the dual approach and sometimes may not know the abstract "tensor product of modules" approach. (Spivak does know it however, and apparently just chooses which property he likes better in writing about this topic.)

1. What is the mapping to alternating tensors?

The mapping to alternating tensors is a mathematical technique used to convert a tensor into an alternating tensor. An alternating tensor is a type of tensor that behaves differently under certain operations, such as swapping two indices or multiplying by a scalar.

2. How is the mapping to alternating tensors used in physics?

In physics, the mapping to alternating tensors is used to describe physical quantities that exhibit anti-symmetry. For example, the electromagnetic field tensor in relativity is an alternating tensor, which means it changes sign when its indices are swapped. This allows for the description of physical phenomena, such as the magnetic field, which would not be possible with a regular tensor.

3. What is the significance of alternating tensors in differential geometry?

In differential geometry, alternating tensors are important in defining the concept of orientation. By using alternating tensors, we can define a consistent notion of orientation for any manifold, which is crucial for many geometric and physical applications.

4. How is the mapping to alternating tensors related to the exterior product?

The mapping to alternating tensors is closely related to the exterior product, which is a mathematical operation used to construct alternating tensors from regular tensors. The exterior product takes two vectors and produces a bivector (a type of alternating tensor) that represents the area of the parallelogram formed by the two vectors. This operation can be generalized to higher dimensions as well.

5. Are there any practical applications of the mapping to alternating tensors?

Yes, there are many practical applications of the mapping to alternating tensors in various fields of science and engineering. It is used in physics, differential geometry, mechanics, and other areas to describe physical quantities and phenomena that exhibit anti-symmetry. It is also used in computer graphics and computer vision to represent and manipulate geometric objects in a more efficient way.