The museum of unworkable devices.

• Thread starter matthyaouw
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a link that contains a list and explanation of various types of 'perpetual motion machines' throughout history. The topic of perpetual motion is brought up and the link is praised, with one person mentioning using it as required reading for students. The conversation also includes a mention of a failed attempt at creating a buoyancy motor and the potential use of the link as a teaching tool in the future.
matthyaouw
Gold Member
http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/museum/unwork.htm

A great list and explanation of various types of 'perpetual motion machines' proposed throughout history. You'd be surprised how old some of these ideas are, and yet people are still pushing them...

Physics news on Phys.org
I love this link! Proving those things are in static equilibrium can make very good statics problems. I came up with a version of the buoyancy motor before (I knew it was impossible, just couldn't see why) and I had to get someone's help to figure out why it wouldn't work. If I ever become a statics teacher one day, I'll give my students some of those problems :wink:.

This is top notch! I'm going to assign this as required reading to my students.

matthyaouw said:
You'd be surprised how old some of these ideas are, and yet people are still pushing them...

Proving that perpetual motion machines don't work but are perpetual. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
Proving that perpetual motion machines don't work but are perpetual. :biggrin:
ZZZING!:biggrin:

1. What is the purpose of "The museum of unworkable devices"?

The purpose of "The museum of unworkable devices" is to showcase and educate people about inventions and devices that were created with good intentions, but ultimately failed or were never able to work as intended.

2. How many devices are featured in the museum?

The museum currently features over 100 unworkable devices, with new ones being added regularly.

3. Who creates these unworkable devices?

The devices in the museum are created by inventors, engineers, and scientists from all over the world. Some are created as school projects, while others are created by professionals.

4. Are there any famous or well-known devices in the museum?

Yes, there are several well-known devices in the museum, including the Sinclair C5 electric vehicle and the Segway Human Transporter. These devices were highly anticipated but ultimately failed to live up to expectations.

5. Can visitors interact with the devices in the museum?

Due to safety and preservation reasons, visitors are not able to interact with the devices in the museum. However, there are interactive exhibits and demonstrations that allow visitors to learn more about how the devices were intended to work.