The Observable Universe ve The Universe

In summary: This is not the case, so the universe is probably not smaller than the observable universe. In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a universe that is finite but unbounded, leading to the idea that the observable universe may actually be smaller than the entire universe. This concept is difficult to test experimentally and has been disputed. The conversation also mentions a study that suggests a lower bound of 27.9 gigaparsecs on the diameter of the last scattering surface, but this is not conclusive. The balloon analogy is mentioned as a way to understand this concept.
Nugso
Gold Member
Hello everyone. As I was reading an article on wiki, I stumbled upon this by chance;

If the universe is finite but unbounded, it is also possible that the universe is smaller than the observable universe. In this case, what we take to be very distant galaxies may actually be duplicate images of nearby galaxies, formed by light that has circumnavigated the universe. It is difficult to test this hypothesis experimentally because different images of a galaxy would show different eras in its history, and consequently might appear quite different. Bielewicz et al.:[13] claims to establish a lower bound of 27.9 gigaparsecs (91 billion light-years) on the diameter of the last scattering surface (since this is only a lower bound, the paper leaves open the possibility that the whole universe is much larger, even infinite). This value is based on matching-circle analysis of the WMAP 7 year data. This approach has been disputed.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observable_universe#cite_note-14)

Can anybody please explain the information above to me? I tried checking the references, but they didn't help me.

Space news on Phys.org
I don't really know what you are asking. Do you understand the concept of a finite but unbounded universe?

Likes 1 person
See the Balloon analogy thread.
A finite, unbounded universe can look a bit like the surface of earth. If you go in one direction long enough, you will reach your original position again (on earth, after ~40000km). The same could be true for light in the universe. We would see the same objects/structures in multiple directions. We do not, so apparently the universe is not smaller than the volume we call "observable universe".

Likes 1 person
Yes, kind of. Thanks to balloon analogy. What I'm pondering over is how the the text above can be possible?

@mfb

"We would see the same objects/structures in multiple directions."

Assuming I'm walking aroun the surface of earth, how could that happen? And also how do we know we don't know see the same objects/structures.Thanks by the by!

Nugso said:
Yes, kind of. Thanks to balloon analogy.

Then you have misunderstood the balloon analogy. It has nothing to do with whether the universe if finite/infinite and bounded/unbounded. I recommend the link in my signature.

Nugso said:
Assuming I'm walking aroun the surface of earth, how could that happen?
You don't have to walk, light is coming towards you.

And also how do we know we don't know see the same objects/structures.
They would look the same?
Okay, more seriously, this would have been observed as structures in the cosmic microwave background.

What is the difference between The Observable Universe and The Universe?

The Observable Universe refers to the portion of the Universe that we can observe from Earth. This is limited by the speed of light and the age of the Universe, so it is estimated to be about 93 billion light years in diameter. The Universe, on the other hand, is everything that exists, including the parts that we cannot observe.

How is the size of The Observable Universe determined?

The size of The Observable Universe is determined by measuring the rate at which space expands and the age of the Universe. This is known as the Hubble constant, and it is used to calculate the distance of objects from Earth. With this information, scientists estimate that the Observable Universe has a diameter of 93 billion light years.

What is the significance of The Observable Universe?

The Observable Universe is significant because it is the part of the Universe that we can study and observe. It allows us to gather information about the laws of physics, the origins of the Universe, and the evolution of galaxies and celestial bodies. Without the Observable Universe, our understanding of the Universe would be limited.

What is beyond The Observable Universe?

Beyond The Observable Universe is the rest of the Universe, which we cannot observe. This is known as the unobservable or invisible Universe. It is believed to be much larger than the Observable Universe, with potentially infinite dimensions and regions that are beyond our understanding.

Can we ever observe the entire Universe?

It is impossible for us to observe the entire Universe because of the limitations of the speed of light and the age of the Universe. The Universe is constantly expanding, and there are parts that are so far away that their light has not reached us yet. Additionally, there may be parts of the Universe that are beyond our physical understanding, making it impossible for us to observe them.