The quantum state of the Universe

In summary, the dimension of the space of quantum states of multiple particles grows exponentially as the number of particles increases. This is not due to particle collisions, but due to the fact that the states of many particles become the universe through measurements. The universe is not in a weird quantum state because it is not an approximate product of the states of individual particles.
accdd
The dimension of the space of quantum states of multiple particles grows exponentially as the number of particles increases. I would have expected to more likely find the quantum state of many particles in a strange state (such as an entangled one) but it is not so, why? Why isn't the universe entangled? Just because macroscopic objects are continually hit by particles, forcing measurements? If so, then do single particles far away in vacuum (not subject to continuous measurements) evolve towards entangled states? Why isn't the universe in a weird quantum state?
Sorry for the mistakes, i am using a translator.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think the universe is not in an entangled state? How do you know the universe is not in a "weird quantum state"? Perhaps it is. What is the definition of "weird" in this context?

Likes accdd
By weird quantum state I mean a state that cannot be expressed as a product of individual particles.
I know the universe is not in a weird quantum state because I have read that if the particles are distant and their respective wave functions do not overlap, we can approximate the wave function of both as the product of the individual wave functions, and this is not a weird quantum state.
If we have distant particles that are not interacting with anything their quantum state should evolve towards a state that is not the product of the individual particles. Wouldn't this create long-distance correlations that are not observed? What is the evidence that the universe is in a "weird" quantum state?

accdd said:
By weird quantum state I mean a state that cannot be expressed as a product of individual particles.
That makes no sense to me. Are you using weird to mean entangled?
accdd said:
What is the evidence that the universe is in a "weird" quantum state?
I don't have a working definition of "weird".

Likes vanhees71 and accdd
If entagnled is any state that cannot be expressed as the product of the states of the individual particles that compose it, then yes. I used the word "weird" because I don't know if either the word entangled is valid for describing states of physically distant particles.

There are quantum states and there is the Universe. Through measurements, quantum states become the Universe. Obviously, measurements are ubiquitous otherwise you'd have no Universe. Throw in observers or many worlds and the mystery is solved(btw those 2 are the most popular interpretations along with decoherence which also employs many worlds)

accdd said:
The dimension of the space of quantum states of multiple particles grows exponentially as the number of particles increases.
The dimension is countably infinite already for a single particle, and this does not change for multiple particle states. Only in quantum field theories one may have Hilbert spaces with an uncountable dimension.
accdd said:
I would have expected to more likely find the quantum state of many particles in a strange state (such as an entangled one) but it is not so, why? Why isn't the universe entangled? Just because macroscopic objects are continually hit by particles, forcing measurements? If so, then do single particles far away in vacuum (not subject to continuous measurements) evolve towards entangled states? Why isn't the universe in a weird quantum state?
Sorry for the mistakes, i am using a translator.
The state of any large piece of the universe is not even approximately the product of single particle states. This is consistent with the cluster property that asserts that particles far away from each another are asymptotically independent. This makes the 2-particle state approximately the product of two single particle states. But any open, convex part of the universe containing an observer and two far away particles is nevertheless in a very complex multiparticle state.

Likes vanhees71, dextercioby, accdd and 2 others

1. What is the quantum state of the Universe?

The quantum state of the Universe refers to the collection of all quantum states of all particles and fields in the Universe at a given time. It is a mathematical description of the state of the Universe, including its energy, momentum, and other physical properties.

2. How is the quantum state of the Universe determined?

The quantum state of the Universe is determined by the fundamental laws of quantum mechanics, which govern the behavior of particles and fields at the subatomic level. These laws dictate how particles interact and evolve over time, ultimately determining the quantum state of the Universe at any given moment.

3. Can the quantum state of the Universe change?

Yes, the quantum state of the Universe is constantly changing as particles and fields interact and evolve over time. This change is governed by the laws of quantum mechanics and can result in the creation or destruction of particles, as well as changes in their properties.

4. What is the significance of the quantum state of the Universe?

The quantum state of the Universe is significant because it provides a fundamental understanding of the behavior and properties of matter and energy at the smallest scales. It also plays a crucial role in our understanding of the origins and evolution of the Universe.

5. Can we observe the quantum state of the Universe?

No, we cannot directly observe the quantum state of the Universe. However, we can make predictions and observations based on the laws of quantum mechanics and the behavior of particles and fields at the subatomic level. These observations can help us understand the quantum state of the Universe and its evolution over time.