The Schmidt decomposition in QC

In summary: I see. each eigenvector can only appear once. I used them twice. I'll rethink it.Thank you for your help, Gaussian97.
Haorong Wu
TL;DR Summary
How to do Schmidt decomposition in QC?
Hi, there. I have some problems when learning Schmidt decomposition in Nielsen's QC.

The statement of Schmidt decomposition is simple and clear, however, the book doesn't give a clear procedure to do the Schmidt decomposition. I don't know whether the proof under the theorem is the the one I should use or not. After all, it seems practicable to me.

Well, then I got confused again when solving the exercise that ask me to find the Schmidt decompositions of the states
##\frac {\left| 00 \right>+\left | 11 \right >} {\sqrt 2}## ; ##\frac {\left| 00 \right>+\left | 01 \right >+\left | 10 \right >+\left | 11 \right >} 2##; and ##\frac {\left| 00 \right>+\left |01 \right >+\left | 10 \right >} {\sqrt 3}##, because I think the decompositions are themselves.

For example, the decomposition of ##\frac {\left| 00 \right>+\left |01 \right >+\left | 10 \right >} {\sqrt 3}## should be ##\frac {\left| 00 \right>} {\sqrt 3} + \frac {\left |01 \right >} {\sqrt 3} + \frac {\left | 10 \right >} {\sqrt 3}## which is itself. The expression satisfy all the conditions required in the theorem. But I don't think I'm right.

Could you help me point out what part do I make mistakes?

ps: Nielsen's book makes me feel terrible. I have a great time learning QM with Griffth's book. But I struggle in Nielsen's book. It is more abstract and there are not many examples that I can try. I really feel depressed and wonder that QC may be not suitable for me. But I really love computer and physics since high school.

pss: What do the "Quantum Physics Workshop" section do? Should I really post this thread in that section?

Physics news on Phys.org
Haorong Wu said:
Could you help me point out what part do I make mistakes?
I'm not very familiar with Schmidt decomposition, but I'll try and have a look.

Haorong Wu said:
ps: Nielsen's book makes me feel terrible. I have a great time learning QM with Griffth's book. But I struggle in Nielsen's book. It is more abstract and there are not many examples that I can try. I really feel depressed and wonder that QC may be not suitable for me. But I really love computer and physics since high school.
Maybe the problem is the book? Try Stenholm and Suominen, Quantum Approach to Informatics
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/book/10.1002/0471739367
Haorong Wu said:
pss: What do the "Quantum Physics Workshop" section do? Should I really post this thread in that section?
You can't post there. See
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/pf-spring-cleaning.970133/

DrClaude said:
I'm not very familiar with Schmidt decomposition, but I'll try and have a look.Maybe the problem is the book? Try Stenholm and Suominen, Quantum Approach to Informatics
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/book/10.1002/0471739367You can't post there. See
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/pf-spring-cleaning.970133/

DrClaude, Thank you for your kind help.

I see many courses and people using this book. But it can't hurt to try other choices. Thanks for your advice.

Hi, Schmidt decomposition (at least how I learn it, maybe there are different conventions) says the following:
Given a pure state $$\left|\psi\right>$$, there exist orthogonal states $$\left\{\left|\alpha_i\right>\right\}, \left\{\left|\beta_i\right>\right\}$$ such that $$\left|\psi\right>=\sum_{i} \lambda_i \left|\alpha_i\right>\left|\beta_i\right>$$ and where $$\lambda_i\geq0, \qquad \sum_{i}\lambda_i^2=1$$.

I'll explain why this state isn't the Schmidt decomposition (at least in this sense):
In your case you have:
$$\left|\psi\right>=\frac{\left|00\right>+\left|01\right>+\left|10\right>}{\sqrt{3}},
\qquad\text{If we try }\left\{\left|\alpha_i\right>\right\}=\left\{\left|\beta_i\right>\right\}=\left\{\left|0\right>,\left|1\right>\right\}$$
Then the Schmidt decomposition must be of the form $$\left|\psi\right>=\lambda_0\left|00\right>+\lambda_1\left|11\right>$$, since the state has the term $$\left|01\right>$$ is not the Schmidt decomposition.

Last edited:
Likes DrClaude
Gaussian97 said:
Hi, Schmidt decomposition (at least how I learn it, maybe there are different conventions) says the following:
Given a pure state $$\left|\psi\right>$$, there exist orthogonal states $$\left\{\left|\alpha_i\right>\right\}, \left\{\left|\beta_i\right>\right\}$$ such that $$\left|\psi\right>=\sum_{i} \lambda_i \left|\alpha_i\right>\left|\beta_i\right>$$ and where $$\lambda_i\geq0, \qquad \sum_{i}\lambda_i=1$$.

I'll explain why this state isn't the Schmidt decomposition (at least in this sense):
In your case you have:
$$\left|\psi\right>=\frac{\left|00\right>+\left|01\right>+\left|10\right>}{\sqrt{3}},
\qquad\text{If we try }\left\{\left|\alpha_i\right>\right\}=\left\{\left|\beta_i\right>\right\}=\left\{\left|0\right>,\left|1\right>\right\}$$
Then the Schmidt decomposition must be of the form $$\left|\psi\right>=\lambda_0\left|00\right>+\lambda_1\left|11\right>$$, since the state has the term $$\left|01\right>$$ is not the Schmidt decomposition.

Ah, I see. each eigenvector can only appear once. I used them twice. I'll rethink it.

Thank you for your help, Gaussian97.

I've just realized that there was a typo, of course, the state must be normalized, so $$\sum_{i}\lambda_i^2=1$$ instead of $$\sum_{i}\lambda_i=1$$

1. What is the Schmidt decomposition in quantum computing?

The Schmidt decomposition is a mathematical tool used to describe the state of a quantum system that is composed of two subsystems. It allows us to express the overall state of the system in terms of two separate states, known as the Schmidt basis states.

2. How is the Schmidt decomposition different from other methods of describing quantum states?

The Schmidt decomposition is unique in that it provides a way to decompose a quantum state into two separate subsystems, which can be useful for understanding entanglement and other properties of the system. Other methods, such as the density matrix or wavefunction, describe the overall state of the system as a whole.

3. What is the significance of the Schmidt decomposition in quantum information theory?

The Schmidt decomposition is important in quantum information theory because it allows us to quantify and understand the entanglement between two subsystems of a larger quantum system. It also provides a way to measure the amount of information that can be transmitted between the two subsystems.

4. Can the Schmidt decomposition be applied to more than two subsystems?

Yes, the Schmidt decomposition can be extended to systems with more than two subsystems. In this case, the overall state of the system can be expressed in terms of multiple sets of Schmidt basis states, each representing the entanglement between different combinations of subsystems.

5. How is the Schmidt decomposition used in practical applications of quantum computing?

The Schmidt decomposition is a useful tool for understanding and manipulating quantum states in various quantum information processing tasks, such as quantum teleportation and quantum error correction. It can also be used to measure and quantify the entanglement in quantum systems, which is essential for many quantum algorithms and protocols.