Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The secretory pole in secretory cells

Tags:
  1. Oct 10, 2017 #1
    Hello,

I read that Golgi Apparatus when examined below the electronic microscope, appears a network of fibrils either apical or perinuclear.

And it is apical when the Golgi apparatus is between the secretory pole and the nucleus in secretory cells.

I don't know what exactly is the "secretory pole"? So an explanation in a simple language will be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2017 #2

BillTre

Science Advisor

I would call the Golgi apparatus a system of membranes rather than fibrils.
    Fibrils to me implies they are fiber-like such as microtubules, intermediate fibers or micro-filiments (actin fibers)
    The Golgi complex is a series of membranes and the spaces they enclose and separate from the cytoplasm. That's what it looks like in EM (electron microscope).

The secretory pole is the end of a cell in an epithelium (a sheet of cells) that is exposed to the outside surface (which topologically includes the lumen of things like the intestine, which is an invaginated outside surface).
    Epithelial cells are polarized having apical and basal (or basolateral) surfaces. The apical surface is where most of the secretion of vesicular contents occurs in epithelial cells. It can therefore be called the secretory pole of the cell.
    Within cells other things may also be also polarized, such as the golgi apparatus and centrioles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted