The sum of two gamma distributions

In summary: I will use this for my proof.In summary, we can use moment generating functions to show that if X~gamma(x,λ), Y~gamma(y,λ), then Z = X+Y is also gamma (x+y, λ). We can make this assumption because X and Y are independent, and using the fact that E[e^(tZ)] = E[e^(tX)] x E[e^(tY)], we can calculate MZ(t) and show that it is equal to (λ/ λ-t)x+y, proving that Z~gamma(x+y, λ).
Bachelier
let X~gamma(x,λ), Y~gamma(y,λ)
then Z = X+Y is gamma (x+y, λ)

I'm trying to prove this. Is using the moment generating functions the only way to do it.

and in such case, can I assume that MZ(t)= MX(t)*MY(t)

Physics news on Phys.org
Bachelier said:
let X~gamma(x,λ), Y~gamma(y,λ)
then Z = X+Y is gamma (x+y, λ)

I'm trying to prove this. Is using the moment generating functions the only way to do it.

and in such case, can I assume that MZ(t)= MX(t)*MY(t)

Hint: Do you know what Moment Generating Functions are? Do you know the consequence of equating a MGF to a particular distribution?

I know MX(t) = ∫X E[et*x] dx

and MY(t) = ∫X E[et*y] dy

hence I get MZ(t) = ∫X E[et*x] dx * ∫YE[et*y] dy

Bachelier said:
I know MX(t) = ∫X E[et*x] dx

and MY(t) = ∫X E[et*y] dy

hence I get MZ(t) = ∫X E[et*x] dx * ∫YE[et*y] dy

Let Z = X + Y and calculate E[e^(tZ)]. Also you can use the fact that since X and Y are independent then E[e^(tZ)] = E[e^(t[X+Y])] = E[e^(tX + tY)] = E[e^(tX)] x E[e^(tY)].

I know how to get to

MX(t) = (λ/ λ-t)x

and MY(t) = (λ/ λ-t)y

hence since MZ(t) = MX(t)*MY(t)

this implies MZ(t) = (λ/ λ-t)x+y

which implies Z~gamma(x+y, λ)

Bachelier said:
I know how to get to

MX(t) = (λ/ λ-t)x

and MY(t) = (λ/ λ-t)y

hence since MZ(t) = MX(t)*MY(t)

this implies MZ(t) = (λ/ λ-t)x+y

which implies Z~gamma(x+y, λ)

Yep that's it. As long as you have the assumption that X and Y are independent, you have your result which is correct.

thanks

1. What is the definition of a gamma distribution?

A gamma distribution is a probability distribution that is often used to model data that is skewed to the right, meaning that there are more values on the higher end of the distribution. It is characterized by two parameters: shape (α) and scale (β).

2. How is the sum of two gamma distributions calculated?

To calculate the sum of two gamma distributions, you first need to add the shape parameters (α) of the two distributions. Then, you need to multiply the scale parameters (β) of the two distributions. The resulting distribution will have the same shape parameter as the original distributions, but the scale parameter will be the product of the two original scale parameters.

3. What is the significance of the sum of two gamma distributions?

The sum of two gamma distributions is often used in statistical analysis to model the sum of two independent random variables. This can be useful in a variety of fields, such as finance, biology, and engineering, where the sum of two variables may be of interest.

4. Can the sum of two gamma distributions be simplified?

Yes, if the two gamma distributions have the same shape parameter (α), then the sum can be simplified to a single gamma distribution with the same shape parameter and a scale parameter that is the sum of the two original scale parameters. This simplification is known as the Erlang distribution.

5. What are some real-world applications of the sum of two gamma distributions?

The sum of two gamma distributions can be used to model a variety of real-world phenomena, including the sum of two random wait times, the sum of two failure times in a system, and the sum of two insurance claims. It can also be used in survival analysis to model the sum of two survival times.