1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The value of g above and below the earth

Tags:
  1. Mar 6, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The value of g at a point P inside the earth and at another point Q outside the earth is g/2. Maximum possible distance in terms of radius of earth between P and Q is? (g being the acceleration due to gravity on the surface).

2. Relevant equations
    gh = (1+h/r)-2g
    gd = (1-d/r)g

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't understand what maximum distance is. The value of g reduces whether we go above or below the earths surface and there is only one point above and below that correspond to g/2 and so there is only one distance between those two points. How does maximum distance come into this?
    Just using the formulas I get:
    d= R/2
    h = R(√2-1) or -R(√2+1) // what does that negative sign actually mean in the second one?
    Distance between the two points =
    -(2√2+1)R/2 or (2√2-1)R/2 // again a negative sign.
    And I suppose maximum means I should choose the first and the answer is right. But I just don't get what the answer means. How can there be more than one distance between P and Q? What do those negative signs mean?
    Please point out where my understanding is flawed.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2016 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

The positive R can be thought of as toward the North pole, and the -R can be though of as toward the South pole.
    Maximum distance would not be where both points were in the +R position, right?

4. Mar 7, 2016 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

P can be anywhere on the green sphere.

upload_2016-3-7_7-25-42.png

5. Mar 7, 2016 #4
    ohhh.That never struck me at all.
    Thank you ehild and RUber.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted