The value of g above and below the earth

In summary, the value of g at point P inside the Earth and point Q outside the Earth is g/2. The maximum possible distance between P and Q in terms of the radius of Earth is when one point is at the North pole and the other is at the South pole. This distance can be calculated using the formulas gh = (1+h/r)-2g and gd = (1-d/r)g, where h and d represent the distances from the center of Earth to points P and Q respectively. The negative sign in the formula represents the distance in the opposite direction, i.e. towards the South pole.
takando12

Homework Statement

The value of g at a point P inside the Earth and at another point Q outside the Earth is g/2. Maximum possible distance in terms of radius of Earth between P and Q is? (g being the acceleration due to gravity on the surface).

Homework Equations

gh = (1+h/r)-2g
gd = (1-d/r)g

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand what maximum distance is. The value of g reduces whether we go above or below the Earth's surface and there is only one point above and below that correspond to g/2 and so there is only one distance between those two points. How does maximum distance come into this?
Just using the formulas I get:
d= R/2
h = R(√2-1) or -R(√2+1) // what does that negative sign actually mean in the second one?
Distance between the two points =
-(2√2+1)R/2 or (2√2-1)R/2 // again a negative sign.
And I suppose maximum means I should choose the first and the answer is right. But I just don't get what the answer means. How can there be more than one distance between P and Q? What do those negative signs mean?
Please point out where my understanding is flawed.

Physics news on Phys.org
The positive R can be thought of as toward the North pole, and the -R can be though of as toward the South pole.
Maximum distance would not be where both points were in the +R position, right?

Likes takando12
P can be anywhere on the green sphere.

upload_2016-3-7_7-25-42.png

Likes takando12
ohhh.That never struck me at all.
Thank you ehild and RUber.

1. What is the value of g above and below the earth's surface?

The value of g, or the acceleration due to gravity, varies depending on your location. On the surface of the earth, it is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²). However, as you move further away from the earth's surface, the value of g decreases.

2. How does the value of g change as you move above or below the earth?

The value of g decreases as you move further away from the earth's surface. This is due to the inverse square law, which states that the force of gravity decreases with the square of the distance between two objects.

3. What is the significance of the value of g above and below the earth?

The value of g is important because it determines the strength of the force of gravity acting on an object. This force is what keeps objects in orbit around the earth and allows us to stay grounded on the surface. It also plays a role in many other natural phenomena, such as tides and the motion of celestial bodies.

4. How does the value of g vary on other planets or celestial bodies?

The value of g varies on different planets and celestial bodies depending on their mass and size. For example, the value of g on the moon is about 1/6 of that on earth, while the value of g on Jupiter is about 2.5 times that on earth.

5. Why is the value of g different on earth's equator compared to the poles?

The value of g is slightly lower at the equator compared to the poles because the earth's rotation causes a centrifugal force that counteracts the force of gravity. This effect is greater at the equator, where the distance from the earth's axis of rotation is greater, resulting in a slightly lower value of g.