The wave-function of the universe

• Thread starter Rational T
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary: Saying "the wave-function of the universe" is the exact same thing as saying "the universal wave-function". According to your logic, universal laws and the laws of the universe are different because they are worded differently. You have presented nothing more than a semantical argument based on a misunderstanding.
Rational T
We know the universe is not in a supposition state, so the wave-function of the universe must have collapsed at some point. However, since I am not all that familiar with physics, I wanted to know if this required an observer? If not, then how else could this have happened?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rational T said:
We know the universe is not in a supposition state, so the wave-function of the universe must have collapsed at some point. However, since I am not all that familiar with physics, I wanted to know if this required an observer? If not, then how else could this have happened?

Can you describe what is this "wavefunction of the universe" that you seem to have a knowledge of?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Can you describe what is this "wavefunction of the universe" that you seem to have a knowledge of?

Zz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_wavefunction

The universe is obviously not is a supposition state, if it was we would not be here. Since wave-functions collapse if there is an observer, then an observer must have collapsed the wave-function of the universe. If not, how else did the wave-function of the universe collapse?

Rational T said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_wavefunction

The universe is obviously not is a supposition state, if it was we would not be here. Since wave-functions collapse if there is an observer, then an observer must have collapsed the wave-function of the universe. If not, how else did the wave-function of the universe collapse?

You should read your own source very carefully. Universal is NOT the same as "universe"!

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
You should read your own source very carefully. Universal is NOT the same as "universe"!

Zz.

Saying "the wave-function of the universe" is the exact same thing as saying "the universal wave-function". According to your logic, universal laws and the laws of the universe are different because they are worded differently. You have presented nothing more than a semantical argument based on a misunderstanding.

The wave-function of the universe = The universal wave-function.

Since it takes an observer to collapse a wave-function, then it seems reasonable to assume that an observer collapsed the universal wave-function. If an observer did not collapse the universal wave-function, then what did? The universal wave-function obviously collapsed, or else we wouldn't be here and existence would just be in a quantum state of uncertainty.

This could all be completely wrong, but I would like to know why it is wrong. So far, you have not answered any of my questions sufficiently.

Sorry, but I don't think you know what you are talking about. You are making erroneous assumption of something you do not understand. Please reread the PF rules that you had agreed to.

Zz.

1. What is the wave-function of the universe?

The wave-function of the universe is a mathematical representation of all the possible states and outcomes of the universe. It describes the probability of finding a certain configuration of matter and energy at any given time.

2. How is the wave-function of the universe related to quantum mechanics?

The wave-function of the universe is a concept derived from the principles of quantum mechanics, which describe the behavior of particles on a microscopic level. It is based on the idea that all matter and energy in the universe can be described as waves with specific probabilities of existence.

3. Can the wave-function of the universe be observed or measured?

No, the wave-function of the universe cannot be directly observed or measured. It is a theoretical concept used in quantum mechanics to explain the behavior of particles and the universe as a whole.

4. How does the wave-function of the universe change over time?

The wave-function of the universe is constantly evolving and changing as particles interact and new events occur. It is affected by various factors such as the laws of physics, gravitational forces, and quantum fluctuations.

5. What are some implications of the wave-function of the universe?

The wave-function of the universe has many implications in the field of physics and cosmology. It suggests that the universe is inherently unpredictable and that there are an infinite number of parallel universes with different configurations of matter and energy. It also raises questions about the nature of reality and the role of consciousness in shaping the universe.