Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Or is it?

1. Oct 11, 2007 #1
    Everything started from a very far-fetched line from a game, that got me into researching some interesting stuff. And eventually I arrived at this age-old question. I mean can this even be true? And I'm not talking about some trivial stuff, but rather on a more fundamental and universal level.
    So I just thought I'd ask the resident geeks here on their oppinion. :)
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2007 #2
    10 trillion neurons laid out on a parking lot won't do much good, but if you connect them all together to form a brain you might be onto something.

I could go on.
  4. Oct 11, 2007 #3

Staff: Mentor

How, exactly, are *you* interpreting this? Certainly the whole can be greater than the sum of it's parts. I don't get what you're asking.
  5. Oct 11, 2007 #4
    Erm... I don't really know. I read some stuff that I probably didn't understand at all, but nonetheless...
    I'm not even sure how to explain it. :) Maybe something of the sort: Can you store more information in a system of things that could ever be stored in the sum of each of these individually. Or something...
    Well I was playing the game Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and they said something about an infinite-state machine - I thought it was something interesting and went searching.
    I also just found this site: http://consc.net/notes/analog.html
    It has this question:
  6. Oct 11, 2007 #5
    Everytime I've ever dug a whole, I've never been able to put all the parts back in without sum left over.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?