Theory of the end of the universe

In summary, the theory is that the universe will end and everything will be pulled into a black hole.
jtg05f
Hello everyone, thanks for clicking on my thread, as the title states, I have a theory of the end of the universe. I would first like to state that this theory was just an idea i had that seemed to make sense to me at the time, however I have little knowledge about physics other than it's just a hobby, so if my theory is stupid just say so and let me know if this has already been discussed. That being said, let's get to it.

So the universe started with a bang, and then there was hydrogen. Gravity pulled the atoms together to make the first stars. The first stars died releasing other elements and the process starts over. The left over were used to create planets, moons, and everything else. When the stars died some created black holes. Some black holes became so massive they began to pull together solar systems to make galaxies. This is where we stand.

The common theme in all of this is that gravity pulls things together to make more massive and dense things. So why would it stop there? Why wouldn't gravity just eventually pull everything together into one infinitely massive black hole?

The only problem I can see with this is that the universe is expanding, so what I'm asking is could the gravity of some object be so great it counter act the force of the expansion?

Space news on Phys.org
The amount of energy in expansion is greater then the gravitational energy therefore it is impossible to stop expansion.

Some black holes became so massive they began to pull together solar systems to make galaxies.
Nope, galaxies don't need black holes to exist. Nonetheless, in most galaxies is a fat black hole at the center.
The only problem I can see with this is that the universe is expanding, so what I'm asking is could the gravity of some object be so great it counter act the force of the expansion?
Exactly. Up to the size of superclusters, gravity wins and keeps things from expanding. (They aren't really collapsing neither, because they can't get rid of their motion.) On larger scales, expansion wins.
This process is known as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structure_formation" .

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Theory of the End of the Universe?

The Theory of the End of the Universe, also known as the Ultimate Fate of the Universe, is a scientific concept that attempts to explain how the universe will ultimately end based on current scientific understanding and theories.

2. What are the different theories about the end of the universe?

There are several theories about the end of the universe, including the Big Crunch, the Big Rip, and the Heat Death. The Big Crunch suggests that the universe will eventually stop expanding and collapse back in on itself. The Big Rip theorizes that the expansion of the universe will continue to accelerate until everything is torn apart. The Heat Death proposes that the universe will eventually reach a state of maximum entropy, where all energy is evenly distributed and no work can be done.

3. What evidence supports the Theory of the End of the Universe?

Scientists have observed the expansion of the universe and have found evidence to support the idea that it is accelerating. This supports the theories of the Big Rip and Heat Death. Additionally, the laws of thermodynamics and the concept of entropy provide a foundation for the idea of the universe ultimately reaching a state of maximum disorder.

4. Can the Theory of the End of the Universe be proven?

As with any scientific theory, the Theory of the End of the Universe cannot be proven with absolute certainty. However, the evidence and observations that support it make it a widely accepted concept in the scientific community.

5. Is there a way to prevent or delay the end of the universe?

As of now, there is no known way to prevent or delay the end of the universe. However, some theories suggest that advanced civilizations could potentially harness the energy of dying stars to sustain themselves and potentially extend the lifespan of the universe. But this is purely hypothetical and would require a level of technology far beyond our current capabilities.