Therefore the voltage needs to drop by 42V for the light bulb to be 40 watts.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Jarfi
Messages
384
Reaction score
12

Homework Statement


The light bulb is 60 watts at 230 volts, how much does the voltage need to drop for the lightbulb to be 40 watts'?

Homework Equations



V=IA, P=IV, P=IR^2, V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution



I tried 60w/230v=0,26A... 40w=0,26A*XV<->x=154V so voltage drop is 230-154=76.. I know the current drops with the voltage but this is all I can think of.nevermind, I found out... 40w=v^2/885ohms->> v^2=35400(ACCIDENTALLY DEVIDED) so V=188.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The key to understanding this problem is to realize that the resistance is the same for both situations. After all its the same bulb.

Using the relevant equations...

P=I*V
and
V=I*R
You can write..
P=(V^2)/R
Then rearrange to give...
R=(V^2)/P

Then plug in the numbers giving...
R=(230^2)/60=882Ohms

Then using...
P=(V^2)/R
Rearrange to give..
V=SQRT(R*P)

Substitute the new numbers...
V=SQRT(882*40)
=188V

However the question asks how much does the voltage need to drop and that is...

230-188=42V