Theretical aspects of the non-planar DOUBLET LATTICE METHOD

In summary, the dihedral angle is measured using the dihedral angle equation. The boundary conditions are imposed using symmetric doublets for each sending panel. The reduced frequency example from pages 113-114 is run and results are obtained.
traianus
Hello,
I have been programming a doublet lattice code for nonplanar surfaces with zero thickness. I have some questions about LANDAHL's formulation.

1) How the dihedral angle is measured? This question may appear silly, but please explain. Suppose to have a wing with positive dihedral (let's say 3DEG). Suppose that the plane y-z is a symmetry plane. In the negative portion, is the dihedral still 3 DEG (in the mathematical formulation of the kernel) or 180-3 DEG (measured from + y)?

2) Connected to 1) how do I impose the symmetry boundary conditions? I was doing so by using a symmetric doublet for each sending panel, but then I did not know how to consider the dihedral (see previous question). Anybody knows?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Could you possibly keep your title down to a dull roar? That hurt my head.

My topic was not about the title of it...
So please post messages related to the topic.

Yes, Sir, Sir. My humble apologies. I had totally forgotten that you own this site.

The moderators should do something about it. This is not a serious forum. I asked a serious question about an interesting topic and your best shot is to talk about the title? If the moderators do not solve the problem and a person like "Danger" comes to offend people then the forum is not worth it. If I do not see actions I will leave forever and delete all my posts. If you feel happy about that it is fine to me.

Bye.

Hi, traianus. If it is still of any use, I have programmed my doublet lattice code using 180-(angle of positive portion) DEG in the negative portion, and it works. I also used boundary conditions with oposite signs in the positive and negative portions, in the case of physically symmetric boundary conditions, and with the same signs, in the case of antisymmetric conditions. This means I invert the sign of the real displacements on the negative portion. Because the normals to the panels have opposite signs in opposite portions.

But now, please, regarding the text from Max Blair, "A compilation of the mathematics leading to the doublet-lattice method", have you run the example from pages 113-114, for the reduced frequency of 1.4? Which results have you obtained?

Thank you.

1. What is the non-planar DOUBLET LATTICE METHOD?

The non-planar DOUBLET LATTICE METHOD is a theoretical approach used in the study of crystalline materials. It involves the use of mathematical models to analyze the electronic structure and properties of non-planar crystalline structures.

2. What are some advantages of using the non-planar DOUBLET LATTICE METHOD?

One advantage is that it can accurately predict the electronic properties of non-planar materials, which cannot be accurately described by traditional methods. It also allows for a better understanding of the behavior of electrons in these materials, leading to potential applications in electronics and optoelectronics.

3. How does the non-planar DOUBLET LATTICE METHOD differ from other theoretical approaches?

Unlike other methods that focus on the electronic properties of planar materials, the non-planar DOUBLET LATTICE METHOD takes into account the non-planar nature of certain crystalline structures. It also considers the interactions between different layers in these structures, providing a more comprehensive understanding of their properties.

4. What are some limitations of the non-planar DOUBLET LATTICE METHOD?

One limitation is that it is a purely theoretical approach and requires extensive computational resources, making it difficult to apply to large systems. Additionally, it may not be suitable for materials with highly complex structures or interactions.

5. What are some potential applications of the non-planar DOUBLET LATTICE METHOD?

The non-planar DOUBLET LATTICE METHOD has potential applications in the development of new electronic and optoelectronic devices, such as transistors, sensors, and solar cells. It can also aid in the design and optimization of materials for specific applications, such as in energy storage or catalysis.