Thermal conductivity isotropic

In summary: Silicone sheet...Thermal graphite material..."In summary, there is a difference between isotropic and anisotropic thermal conductivity. Isotropic means that the thermal conductivity is the same in all directions, while anisotropic means that it varies depending on the direction of heat flow. Most common materials are isotropic, while anisotropic materials, such as composites, have direction-dependent properties. It is important to consider the material's thermal conductivity when choosing between isotropic and anisotropic options for applications such as cooling. Anisotropic thermal conductivity can be found in materials such as PCB/graphite, silicone sheet, and thermal graphite material."
sml2010
Hi to all

Can some one help me for below question:

What is different between "isotropic thermal conductivity" with " anisotropic thermal conductivity" ?
where and when we must use isotropic or anisotropic ?
which one is more accurate?

I solve an example in a FEM software and it is used anisotropic for thermal conductivity.
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/z...Untitled-2.jpg

Please help me for difference and application of these two thermal conductivity method.

Thank you

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 833
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
If the thermal conductivity is not the same for every direction, then it is anisotropic.

It is isotropic if all directions are equivalent for heat flow. This the most common case (bulk metals are isotropic).

"Anisotropic" means the thermal conductivity of the material depends on the direction the heat flows through the material. It can also cause strange behaviour where the heat does not flow in the same direction as the temperature gradient.

Most common materials are isotropic. If your material data doesn't include anisotropic thermal properties, just ignore the option.

To respond to the question "which one is more accurate": That's the wrong question... Like Dr L and AlZero said, anisotropic means the material properties are direction dependent.

For applications:
1. Bulk metals (extruded, cast, forged) are considered isotropic for stiffness and conductivity.
2. Composites are the best example of anisotropic materials. Search for ThermalGraph Fabrics.

Thank you very much of all dear my friend that help me and post a reply here

thank you

some typical anisotropic thermal conductivity used for cooling:PCB/graphite...

1. What is thermal conductivity isotropic?

Thermal conductivity isotropic refers to the property of a material where heat can flow equally in all directions. This means that the material has the same thermal conductivity value regardless of the direction of heat flow.

2. How is thermal conductivity isotropic measured?

Thermal conductivity isotropic is typically measured using a thermal conductivity meter or a thermal conductivity analyzer. These devices measure the rate at which heat flows through a material in different directions, and the results are used to determine if the material has isotropic properties.

3. What are some examples of materials with thermal conductivity isotropic?

Some examples of materials with thermal conductivity isotropic include metals such as aluminum, copper, and silver, as well as non-metallic materials like diamond, glass, and plastics.

4. How does thermal conductivity isotropic affect the transfer of heat?

In materials with thermal conductivity isotropic, heat transfer occurs equally in all directions. This means that heat will flow from areas of higher temperature to areas of lower temperature at the same rate, regardless of the direction of heat flow.

5. Can a material have both thermal conductivity isotropic and anisotropic properties?

Yes, it is possible for a material to have both thermal conductivity isotropic and anisotropic properties. This means that the material may have areas where heat can flow equally in all directions, as well as areas where heat flow may be more restricted or directional.