Thermal Energy problem - Ice placed in water

In summary, the question asks for the mass of an ice cube placed in water at 21.5 degrees C, which is brought to equilibrium at 15 degrees C when the ice completely melts. The correct equation to use is mCΔt = -mCΔt, where m is the mass of the ice cube, C is the specific heat capacity of water, and Δt is the change in temperature. The latent heat of fusion of ice is also needed to solve the problem.
Bobazoide

Homework Statement

An ice cube at its freezing point is placed in nested Styrofoam cups which contain 240g of water at 21.5 degrees C. If the final equilibrium temperature when the last trace of ice melts is 15 degrees C, what was the mass of the ice cube?

Homework Equations

mCΔt = -mCΔt

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem here is the logistics of the question itself. As the ice melts, it turns into water, which has a different heat capacity than that of ice. I'm not sure if I have to take this constantly changing heat capacity into account, since I'm only in grade 11 of high school and my class hasn't been taught complex mathematics, so our teacher expects us to solve this with basic arithmetic. I'm not sure if he wants us to just use a constant specific heat capacity or not, but logically it would have to change.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bobazoide said:

Homework Statement

An ice cube at its freezing point is placed in nested Styrofoam cups which contain 240g of water at 21.5 degrees C. If the final equilibrium temperature when the last trace of ice melts is 15 degrees C, what was the mass of the ice cube?

Homework Equations

mCΔt = -mCΔt That line has no sense.

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem here is the logistics of the question itself. As the ice melts, it turns into water, which has a different heat capacity than that of ice. I'm not sure if I have to take this constantly changing heat capacity into account, since I'm only in grade 11 of high school and my class hasn't been taught complex mathematics, so our teacher expects us to solve this with basic arithmetic. I'm not sure if he wants us to just use a constant specific heat capacity or not, but logically it would have to change.

The ice cube is placed into the water at its freezing point. The temperature of ice will not change until it melts, so you do not need to calculate with the heat capacity of the ice. You need to know the latent heat of fusion of ice, and the specific heat capacity of water.

What is the equation you need to use?

ehild

1. What is thermal energy?

Thermal energy is the energy that is created by the movement of particles within a substance. It is also known as heat energy.

2. How does ice placed in water affect thermal energy?

When ice is placed in water, it absorbs thermal energy from the surrounding water to melt and reach the same temperature. This process is known as heat transfer.

3. Why does the temperature of the water decrease when ice is placed in it?

The temperature of the water decreases because the ice absorbs thermal energy from the water, causing it to cool down.

4. Can the thermal energy of the water and ice be measured?

Yes, the thermal energy of the water and ice can be measured using a thermometer. The temperature of the water and ice will change as heat is transferred between them.

5. How does the amount of ice affect the thermal energy of the water?

The more ice that is added to the water, the more thermal energy will be absorbed from the water to melt it. This will result in a greater decrease in the temperature of the water.