Thermonuclear fusion in accretion disks?

In summary: The gravity of the star attracts hydrogen and helium. The gravity is so intense that the helium fuses too. The star has an atmosphere of carbon that is very small, an inch thick or something like that.In summary, it appears that thermonuclear fusion can occur in accretion disks around black holes, or even neutron stars/white dwarfs. Further research is needed to verify this.
soothsayer
I was wondering whether thermonuclear fusion could be achieved in accretion disks around black holes, or even neutron stars/white dwarfs. Seems like, in AGN at the very least, you would easily get the kind of temperatures and pressures necessary for thermonuclear fusion, perhaps even synthesis of heavier elements (above Iron). I have never heard of this, but I would be a little surprised if it weren't true. Does anyone know if this is supposed to happen, or do we have any sort of direct spectroscopic evidence supporting it? I would be interested to know. Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It appears that fusion can occur in accretion disks. See this paper as an example.

Perfect. Thank you!

soothsayer said:
I was wondering whether thermonuclear fusion could be achieved in accretion disks around black holes, or even neutron stars/white dwarfs. Seems like, in AGN at the very least, you would easily get the kind of temperatures and pressures necessary for thermonuclear fusion, perhaps even synthesis of heavier elements (above Iron). I have never heard of this, but I would be a little surprised if it weren't true. Does anyone know if this is supposed to happen, or do we have any sort of direct spectroscopic evidence supporting it? I would be interested to know. Thanks!

I know that nuclear fusion occurs on the surface of neutron stars. Sometimes it is a big starwide explosion, sometimes it is gradual.

Hornbein said:
I know that nuclear fusion occurs on the surface of neutron stars. Sometimes it is a big starwide explosion, sometimes it is gradual.

Are you sure? I thought Nuetron stars formed when a star not big enough to become a black hole exhausted its fuel, and that Nuetron stars have a surface of iron.

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2012/model-bursting-star-0302.html

For the first time, researchers at MIT and elsewhere have detected all phases of thermonuclear burning in a neutron star. The star, located close to the center of the galaxy in the globular cluster Terzan 5, is a “model burster,” says Manuel Linares, a postdoc at MIT’s Kavli Institute for Astrophysics and Space Research.

Linares and his colleagues from MIT, McGill University, the University of Minnesota and the University of Amsterdam analyzed X-ray observations from NASA’s Rossi X-ray Timing Explorer (RXTE) satellite, and discovered the star is the first of its kind to burst the way that models predict. What’s more, the discovery may help explain why such a model star has not been detected until now. A paper to be published in the March 20 issue of The Astrophysical Journal details the group’s findings.

more at link.

D English said:
Are you sure? I thought Nuetron stars formed when a star not big enough to become a black hole exhausted its fuel, and that Nuetron stars have a surface of iron.

The gravity of the star attracts hydrogen and helium. The gravity is so intense that the helium fuses too. The star has an atmosphere of carbon that is very small, an inch thick or something like that.

What is thermonuclear fusion in accretion disks?

Thermonuclear fusion in accretion disks is a process in which large amounts of hydrogen atoms are fused together to form helium, releasing a massive amount of energy in the form of light and heat. This process is similar to the fusion reactions that power the sun and other stars.

What is an accretion disk?

An accretion disk is a structure formed around a massive object, such as a black hole or a star, in which matter from its surroundings is pulled in and orbits around it. The accretion disk is heated by friction and pressure, making it an ideal environment for thermonuclear fusion to occur.

What is the role of gravity in thermonuclear fusion in accretion disks?

Gravity plays a crucial role in the process of thermonuclear fusion in accretion disks. The intense gravitational pull of the central object causes gas and dust particles to spiral towards it, forming the accretion disk. This gravitational compression also increases the temperature and pressure within the disk, providing the conditions necessary for fusion reactions to take place.

How does thermonuclear fusion in accretion disks produce energy?

Thermonuclear fusion in accretion disks produces energy through the conversion of mass into energy. As hydrogen atoms fuse together to form helium, a small amount of mass is converted into a large amount of energy according to Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2. This energy is released in the form of light and heat, powering the accretion disk and making it visible to observers.

What are the potential applications of thermonuclear fusion in accretion disks?

Thermonuclear fusion in accretion disks has the potential to be a viable source of energy in the future. By harnessing the immense energy released during fusion reactions, we could potentially create a new and sustainable source of power. However, more research and development is needed before this technology can be effectively utilized.