Thin-Film Interference and Antireflective coating

In summary: Note that the index of refraction of air is pretty close to 1. So if you were to solve this problem without being given the index of refraction of glass, then you'd be fairly close to the right answer if you used 1 for n-glass.It's a good thing that you could check your answer by plugging in 1 for n-glass, and seeing that 1.18 is much less than 1.52, as it should be.
aChordate

Homework Statement

A pair of eyeglasses has an index of refraction n-glass = 1.52. It is covered with an
antireflection layer that has a thickness of 120 nm and an index of refraction that is less
than n-glass. If the antireflection layer is designed to minimize reflection in the middle of
the visible spectrum (l = 565 nm), what is its index of refraction?

Homework Equations

index of refraction
n=c/v
c=3.00*108m/s

thin film interference
n=λvacuumfilm

The Attempt at a Solution

n-glass = 1.52

n-layer=?

λvacuum=565nm

λfilm=120nm ?

ncoating= 565nm/120nm = 4.71

Physics news on Phys.org
aChordate said:

Homework Statement

A pair of eyeglasses has an index of refraction n-glass = 1.52. It is covered with an
antireflection layer that has a thickness of 120 nm and an index of refraction that is less
than n-glass. If the antireflection layer is designed to minimize reflection in the middle of
the visible spectrum (l = 565 nm), what is its index of refraction?

Homework Equations

index of refraction
n=c/v
c=3.00*108m/s

thin film interference
n=λvacuumfilm
The above equation might come in quite handy. :wink:

The Attempt at a Solution

n-glass = 1.52

n-layer=?

λvacuum=565nm

λfilm=120nm ?
Not quite, no. See my comments below.

Before I comment much, perhaps the easiest way to solve this problem is to look in your textbook or coursework for a particular formula that will help you with this.

That said, the ideal thickness of the film for an anti-reflective layer is [itex] \frac{1}{4} \lambda_{\mathrm{film}} [/itex]. The reason for the 1/4 wavelength is that the wave that is reflected from the back of the coating layer will then be 1/2 wavelength out of phase with the wave that gets reflected off the front of the coating. (The wave that travels through the coating and gets reflected off the back of the coating, travels a total of [itex] \frac{1}{4} \lambda_{\mathrm{film}} + \frac{1}{4} \lambda_{\mathrm{film}} = \frac{1}{2} \lambda_{\mathrm{film}}[/itex] within the layer, total). In front of the coating (in the air) there will be two reflected waves. Since the two reflected waves are 180o out of phase, they destructively interfere with each other.

With that piece of knowledge, and one of the things listed in your relevant equations, you'll have enough information to derive the appropriate formula yourself. :wink:

Likes 1 person
I am really confused about this question. I've read the chapter and what you wrote.

The only equation in the book that I see is:

n=λvacuum/λfilm=565nm/?

I am not quite sure what to do with:

nglass = 1.52

or

t=120nm

or how to find the wavelength of the film.

aChordate said:
I am really confused about this question. I've read the chapter and what you wrote.

The only equation in the book that I see is:

n=λvacuum/λfilm=565nm/?
That's a fine equation. :smile: You'll end up using it, either directly or indirectly, by the time this problem is done. :biggrin:

I am not quite sure what to do with:

nglass = 1.52
In this particular problem, not much. The index of refraction of the glass (on the other side of the coating layer) doesn't fit into the calculations.

It is important at least qualitatively though. It's important to know qualitatively that the index of refraction of the coating layer is less than the index of refraction of the glass. If it were the other way around, the wave reflected from the layer off the glass gets an inversion upon reflection: it would change the equations. Also, given the choice is better to choose an index of refraction of the coating the be the geometrical mean of the glass and the air indexes of refraction, to promote reflections with equal intensity. But don't worry about that for this problem; this problem has more to do with the coating layer's thickness.

The constraint which you are working with is that the layer of coating has a fixed thickness of 120 nm. You can't change that. The thickness and the coating layer's index of refraction determine the target wavelength.

or

t=120nm

or how to find the wavelength of the film.

120 nm = (1/4)λfilm

This link might be of some help regarding where the 1/4 factor comes from:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/antiref.html#c3

antrefl.gif

I'm surprised though that you are given this problem without covering anti-reflection in your coursework.

We covered it briefly, but I don't remember my professor saying anything about the 1/4 factor.

So, is this correct?

120nm=1/4λfilm

λfilm=30nm

n=λvacuumfilm=565nm/30nm=18.8

aChordate said:
We covered it briefly, but I don't remember my professor saying anything about the 1/4 factor.

So, is this correct?

120nm=1/4λfilm

λfilm=30nm

It's 120 nm=(1/4)λfilm.

In other words, λfilm = (4)(120 nm)

Likes 1 person
Oh my goodness, that was a silly mistake. I was wondering why it was so low. Thanks for your patience!

λfilm=480

n=1.18 !

aChordate said:
λfilm=480

n=1.18 !
Yep! :approve:

1. What is thin-film interference?

Thin-film interference is an optical phenomenon that occurs when light waves reflect off of the top and bottom surfaces of a thin film. This results in constructive and destructive interference, causing certain wavelengths of light to be amplified or canceled out, respectively.

2. How does thin-film interference affect the color of objects?

When light waves reflect off of a thin film, the different wavelengths of light interfere with each other. This can result in certain colors being reflected more strongly than others, causing objects to appear to have a specific color or to change colors depending on the angle of observation.

3. What is the purpose of an antireflective coating?

An antireflective coating is designed to reduce the amount of light reflected off of the surface of a material. This is achieved by creating a thin film that causes destructive interference of the reflected light, allowing more light to pass through the material and improving its clarity and visibility.

4. Can antireflective coatings be applied to any material?

Yes, antireflective coatings can be applied to a wide range of materials, including glass, plastics, and metals. However, the type and thickness of the coating may vary depending on the material and its intended use.

5. How is thin-film interference used in technology?

Thin-film interference is used in many technological applications, such as in optical filters, anti-glare coatings for screens, and solar panels. It is also utilized in the fabrication of microchips, where the precise control of thin films is crucial for creating electronic circuits.