1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Things to expect with grade 10 Geometric Sequences

1. Jun 6, 2006 #1
    We're going to be starting them in a day or two, and I just wanted to know ahead of time what you guys might think we'll be learning with them, like formulae and that kind of stuff..
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There's not a whole lot you have to know about "geometric sequences". A geometric sequence is one in which you go from one number to the next by always multiplying by the same thing.

Example: 3, 6, 12, 24, 48, 96,.... The point is that 6/3= 2, 12/6= 2, 48/24= 2, 96/48= 2. In other words, you start with the number 3 and proceed to just keep multiplying by 2. If we start counting terms with n= 0 (some people start with n= 1) then the "nth" term is 3(2)n or, in more general terms, arn where a is the first term and a is the "common multiplier"j. If you start counting with n= 1, then the nth term is arn-1:you have to subtract 1 to get back to 0.

Another nice property is this: suppose we add the terms (a geometric series rather than sequenc). For example if S= a+ ar+ ar2+ ar3, then S= a+ r(a+ ar+ ar2) where we've just lost one power. Okay, put it back in: S= a+ r(a+ ar+ ar2+ ar3- ar3. See how I added and subtracted the same thing? Now separate those: S= a+ r(a+ ar+ ar2+ ar3)+ ar4= a+ r(S)+ ar4 so
    S- rS= S(1-r)= a+ ar4= a(1- r4). That is,
    S(1-r)= a(1- r4) so S= a (1-r4)/(1- r).

More generally, the sum of the first n terms of a geometric sequence is
    Sn= a(1-rn+1)/(1- r).
  4. Jun 6, 2006 #3
    Well, it seems pretty simple to me, especially after the few arithmatic formulae we've learned over the past few days. Should be fun :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?