Thinking 'outside the mind' on taxes.

In summary, the Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood wants to consider taxing motorists based on how many miles they drive rather than how much gasoline they burn.
Jimmy Snyder
MSNBC said:
Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood says he wants to consider taxing motorists based on how many miles they drive rather than how much gasoline they burn.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29298315"
He is one of the innocent Obama appointees. The idea here is that you put a gps in your car that records how many miles you've traveled. Then when you go to the gas station, they read the gsp and you pay based on the number of miles you have travelled. Travel to work is taxed the same as travel to play. Travel in a Prius is taxed the same as travel in a Humvee.
Every single car in the country has to be retrofitted with a gps before the system takes effect to insure fairness. The device has to be secured to the car so that even the owner can't remove it. Otherwise, people like me would remove it, only replacing it for trips to the gas station.
But on the good side, at least it wouldn't raise the gasoline tax. That would be a bad idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
jimmysnyder said:
But on the good side, at least it wouldn't raise the gasoline tax. That would be a bad idea.
Why would it be a bad idea? And would it be a bad idea in general, or only at the current time (under a recession)?

Gokul43201 said:
Why would it be a bad idea? And would it be a bad idea in general, or only at the current time (under a recession)?
For one thing it would kill the gps industry.

First, there's already an instrument in every car that records how far one has driven. It's called an odometer.

Second, I don't see why it makes sense to tax gas guzzlers at an effectively lower rate than econo-boxes.

Vanadium 50 said:
First, there's already an instrument in every car that records how far one has driven. It's called an odometer.

Second, I don't see why it makes sense to tax gas guzzlers at an effectively lower rate than econo-boxes.
Perhaps there's a place for you in the Palin administration come 2012.

jimmysnyder said:
For one thing it would kill the gps industry.
You thought of the g-p-s industry before the g-a-s industry?

Vanadium 50 said:
Agreed. I'm puzzled by this move. If gas taxes aren't bringing in enough money with people driving less and fuel economy rising, then the solution is simple and obvious: raise the gas tax. Switching to a mileage based tax costs/wastes money and reduces the incentive to drive more efficient vehicles.

What's more, I'm not sure the logic they use even works: A Civic Hybrid uses less gas then a regular Civic and the wear on the road is the same, sure. But a Chevy Suburban uses probably twice as much gas as the stock Civic and weighs 3x as much, for more wear on the road per gallon of gas and per mile driven.

jimmysnyder said:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29298315"
He is one of the innocent Obama appointees. The idea here is that you put a gps in your car that records how many miles you've traveled. Then when you go to the gas station, they read the gsp and you pay based on the number of miles you have travelled. Travel to work is taxed the same as travel to play. Travel in a Prius is taxed the same as travel in a Humvee.
Every single car in the country has to be retrofitted with a gps before the system takes effect to insure fairness. The device has to be secured to the car so that even the owner can't remove it. Otherwise, people like me would remove it, only replacing it for trips to the gas station.

And your point is...?

...But later Friday, White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said that a miles-driven tax is not and will not be an Obama administration policy...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29298315

But since you want to waste time talking about something that the White House said it would not do [are you applying for a job with Palin?]

A blue-ribbon national transportation commission is expected to release a report next week recommending a VMT.

The logic of charging for road use based on road use is just silly. It should be based on the hours of TV watched. And obviously someone going to work puts less stress on the roads that someone who is out to play.

russ_watters said:
Agreed. I'm puzzled by this move. If gas taxes aren't bringing in enough money with people driving less and fuel economy rising, then the solution is simple and obvious: raise the gas tax. Switching to a mileage based tax costs/wastes money and reduces the incentive to drive more efficient vehicles.

What's more, I'm not sure the logic they use even works: A Civic Hybrid uses less gas then a regular Civic and the wear on the road is the same, sure. But a Chevy Suburban uses probably twice as much gas as the stock Civic and weighs 3x as much, for more wear on the road per gallon of gas and per mile driven.
Think like an agency bureaucrat instead: follow the money. They're not so much concerned about road use, they're concerned about overall revenue from gas taxes falling as the econo cars proliferate. AFAIK this was first seriously proposed out of Oregon a few years ago.
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2131420/posts
www.oregon.gov/ODOT/HWY/OIPP/docs/FinalReportHH2003march.pdf[/URL]

[QUOTE=Oregon Gov.]“As Oregonians drive less and demand more fuel-efficient vehicles, it is increasingly important that the state find a new way, other than the gas tax, to finance our transportation system.”[/QUOTE]Which is exactly backwards from what the country needs.
http://crosscut.com/blog/crosscut/18746/Or as he might have said "Of the Government, by the Government, and for the Government"

mheslep said:
Think like an agency bureaucrat instead: follow the money. They're not so much concerned about road use, they're concerned about overall revenue from gas taxes falling as the econo cars proliferate.
That's exactly how I see it too. I read something about North Carolina thinking about this a little while ago, and it sounded like the most idiotically narrow minded, short term (not to mention back-a$$wards) thinking I've seen in a while.

jimmysnyder said:
Perhaps there's a place for you in the Palin administration come 2012.

Huh?
russ_watters said:
Agreed. I'm puzzled by this move. If gas taxes aren't bringing in enough money with people driving less and fuel economy rising, then the solution is simple and obvious: raise the gas tax.

That's the problem with using taxes to modify behavior: it provides a perverse incentive to the government to encourage the very behavior it is trying to modify.

Vanadium 50 said:
That's the problem with using taxes to modify behavior: it provides a perverse incentive to the government to encourage the very behavior it is trying to modify.
It should be mentioned that such a tax would unduly burden people who live in largely rural states like mine (Maine) who have to travel long distances to get to their jobs, shop for groceries, etc. We are already under severe pressure - why add more?

Vanadium 50 said:
Huh?
Perhaps not after all.

turbo-1 said:
It should be mentioned that such a tax would unduly burden people who live in largely rural states like mine (Maine) who have to travel long distances to get to their jobs, shop for groceries, etc. We are already under severe pressure - why add more?

The technology has already been tested in a few places, including here in the UK. The good thing about it is the flexibility; it is e.g possible to use different fees for different times of the day, areas etc. Hence, in many ways it works more like a congestion charge than a tax and would e.g. make it possible to adjust the fee for driving on a motorway depending on the time of day.
Also, there is no a priori reason for why one couldn't implement a lower fee for driving in rural areas. Whether or not that would be politically possible is another question.

Some insurance companies area also interested in this because it makes it possible for them to offer "conditional" insurance, e.g. the cost of insurance could go up if you are driving after dark etc.

1. How does thinking 'outside the mind' apply to taxes?

Thinking 'outside the mind' in regards to taxes refers to considering alternative ways to minimize or manage your tax liability beyond traditional methods. This could include exploring tax deductions, credits, or strategies that may not be commonly known or used.

2. Can you give an example of thinking 'outside the mind' on taxes?

One example of thinking 'outside the mind' on taxes could be utilizing a tax-free savings account or investing in tax-exempt municipal bonds to reduce your taxable income and potentially lower your tax bill.

3. How can thinking 'outside the mind' benefit taxpayers?

Thinking 'outside the mind' can benefit taxpayers by potentially reducing their tax burden and maximizing their tax savings. By exploring creative and unconventional tax strategies, taxpayers may be able to keep more of their hard-earned money.

4. Are there any risks associated with thinking 'outside the mind' on taxes?

There can be risks associated with thinking 'outside the mind' on taxes, such as the possibility of making a mistake or taking advantage of loopholes that may not be legal or ethical. It is important to consult with a qualified tax professional before implementing any unconventional tax strategies.

5. Is thinking 'outside the mind' on taxes legal?

Thinking 'outside the mind' on taxes can be legal, as long as the strategies used comply with tax laws and regulations. It is important to consult with a tax professional to ensure that any unconventional tax strategies are within the bounds of the law.