This should probaly belong in Biology, but

• Thread starter mugaliens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Biology
In summary, based on the conversation, the mammal is discussing their concerns about the past and how it compares to present day. They also mention that the average IQ has been decreasing over time.
mugaliens
During one year, I, a mammal, traveled more than 24,000 miles but I am by far no means the king of mammals, for I have reports of mammals who've traveled more than 200,000 miles.

And that's not counting our astronauts.

Why are you failing to recognize our achievements as homo sapiens, which, beginning with us and working backwards in time involves Genus Homo, Tribe Homini, Subfamily Homininae, Family Hominidae, Order Primates, Class Mammalia, Phylum Chordata, and Kingdom Animalia?

Homo sapiens sapiens begat somewhere in 1758, according to wiki records, though I've seen clear evidence we were alive and well, well beyond any such revolutionary dates imagined well back into the 8th century B.C. (or BCE as the nugs call it: "The numbering of years using Common Era notation is identical to the numbering used with Anno Domini (BC/AD) notation" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B.C.E." ).

Oh, crikey (not my monker) over the years I've been able to devise how early man might have been able to devise global navigation with nothing more than rock and stone and long-term observation. And that in just three years, knowing what they had to work with and knowing what I might have to have been known.

I've little doubt that 100,000 years ago, any hominid looking at the stars would be able to deduce anything less than this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Less than the circumference of the globe. :P

I'm personally not very proud of the past beyond a few thousand years, and even much of the more recent stuff (and stuff in the last 100 years) gives me cause for concern and embarrassment.

Also, please note that the average IQ was lower in the past, and is becoming increasingly lower today.

G037H3 said:
Also, please note that the average IQ was lower in the past, and is becoming increasingly lower today.

100 just ain't what it used to be

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and observations on the achievements of Homo sapiens. I must point out that while our species has certainly accomplished incredible feats in terms of travel and navigation, it is important to remember that these achievements are built upon a long history of development and evolution. The ability to travel and navigate globally is a result of our advanced cognitive abilities, which have been shaped by millions of years of evolution.

It is also worth noting that while we have made great advances in technology and transportation, other species have also demonstrated impressive abilities in terms of navigation and migration. For example, some bird species are able to travel thousands of miles each year during migration, using complex navigational techniques.

Furthermore, it is important to recognize that our understanding of early human history is constantly evolving as new evidence and discoveries are made. While the specific dates and classifications you mention may be subject to debate, the overall timeline of human evolution is well-supported by a vast amount of scientific evidence.

In summary, while it is certainly admirable to celebrate the accomplishments of our species, it is important to do so with an understanding of the larger context of human evolution and the contributions of other species to our collective history.

1. What is Biology?

Biology is the study of living organisms and their interactions with each other and the environment. It covers a wide range of topics including genetics, evolution, anatomy, and ecology.

2. How is biology related to other sciences?

Biology is closely related to other sciences such as chemistry, physics, and geology. It incorporates principles and concepts from these fields to understand living organisms and their processes.

3. What are the main branches of biology?

The main branches of biology are botany, zoology, microbiology, genetics, anatomy, and ecology. Each branch focuses on a specific aspect of living organisms and their functions.

4. Why is biology important?

Biology is important because it helps us understand the world around us and our place in it. It also has practical applications in fields such as medicine, agriculture, and conservation.

5. What are some common research methods in biology?

Some common research methods in biology include observation, experimentation, and data analysis. Biologists also use techniques such as DNA sequencing, microscopy, and statistical analysis to study living organisms.

Back