Thread replies and signature

• Thread starter CAF123
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the new PF skin and some concerns about the decrease in thread views in subforums. It was suggested that this could be due to people getting used to the new format or the need for more scrolling to see content. There was also a discussion about the signature message and suggestions were made to change it to something more welcoming and less informal. The final suggestion was to use "PhysicsForums: Welcoming young minds of all ages - join us today!" as the new signature message.
CAF123
Gold Member
I quite like the new PF skin overall, but there are a couple of things I would like to bring up.

I seems to me that threads in the subforums are getting less views than they were getting in the old format. This may be because most people are getting used to the new format or because there seems to be a lot less to see per page (i.e more scrolling is needed to see more of the contents of the subforum at least without any configuration). Or perhaps the counter is just on a delay.

Also, others may disagree, but I think the signature 'Welcome to Physics Forums, you should totally join' is a bit in your face and a bit to chatty and I don't really like how it comes across. I am not really one for coming up with a good signature but something a bit less may be better.

Just my $0.02...

Physics news on Phys.org
CAF123 said:
subforums are getting less views than they were getting in the old format

Some of it could be the counter delay but also Google needs to recrawl all the threads.

CAF123 said:
more scrolling is needed

I can work on reducing that

CAF123 said:
Welcome to Physics Forums, you should totally join

I can come up with something else. Have any suggestions?

Greg Bernhardt said:
I can come up with something else. Have any suggestions?
I'll have a think, it is just the word 'totally' that puts me off I guess. I'm not sure what anybody else thinks.

Likes gracy and Greg Bernhardt
Not a finalist and could use help - just a seed for thought: "PhysicsForums: Welcoming young minds, of any age - join us today!"

Likes Greg Bernhardt
TumblingDice said:
Not a finalist and could use help - just a seed for thought: "PhysicsForums: Welcoming young minds, of any age - join us today!"

@Greg Bernhardt : OMG! I just noticed you've updated to that text. I'm tickled beyond words, yet I tossed it in the air hoping to encourage feedback and input from others. Can we give that another go? Here's a tweak for consideration:
"PhysicsForums: Welcoming young minds of all ages - join us today!"

Likes Enigman

What are thread replies and signature?

Thread replies are responses to a specific comment or post in an online forum or discussion. Signatures are short pieces of text, often including a name and/or a link, that are automatically added to the end of a post or reply.

Why are thread replies and signature important in online discussions?

Thread replies allow for ongoing conversations and discussions among multiple users on a particular topic. Signatures provide a way for users to identify themselves and promote their own content or websites.

How do thread replies and signature affect the flow of discussions?

Thread replies can either contribute to the flow of a discussion by adding new ideas and perspectives, or they can disrupt the flow by veering off-topic or becoming too argumentative. Signatures can also interrupt the flow of a discussion if they are too long or distracting.

What are some best practices for using thread replies and signature in online discussions?

When using thread replies, it is important to stay on-topic and respectful of others' opinions. It is also helpful to read previous replies to avoid repeating the same points. As for signatures, it is best to keep them short and relevant to the discussion, and avoid using them to advertise or promote products or services.

Are there any potential drawbacks to using thread replies and signature in online discussions?

One potential drawback of thread replies is the potential for arguments or conflicts to arise between users with differing opinions. Signatures can also be distracting or annoying if they are too long or irrelevant to the discussion. Additionally, some forums or discussion platforms may have rules or restrictions on the use of signatures.