Three Charges inside a Metal Sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses the uniform distribution of charge on a conductor, the resulting zero electric field inside the shell, and the process of deducing the net charge on the inner and outer surfaces of the shell. The net charge on the outer surface can be easily found because the shell carries zero net charge.
student49
Homework Statement
Three fixed point charges of +2 nC, −3 nC and +4 nC are located inside a thin un-
charged metal spherical shell of radius R = 2 cm. Calculate the strength and direction of the electric field at position P, being 10 cm from
the centre of the shell.
Hint
Think Gauss’s Law and carefully consider the conditions within the thickness of the
metal shell and what this tells you about the charge enclosed. Think about concentric
spherical Gaussian surfaces at various radii, and what you can conclude about the net
charge within them. Do NOT simply try and sum up the E~ -fields from the charges,
this does not work here since there is a spherical metal shell in the way.
Relevant Equations
E = Q/(4πE0r^2)

E0 is air permittivity
I know that for a conductor the charge is uniformly distributed and the electric field is zero inside the shell. However, I am not sure how to calculate the charge inside the shell so I can know the electric field.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums

student49 said:
I know that for a conductor the charge is uniformly distributed
The charge on a conductor does not have to be uniformly distributed.

and the electric field is zero inside the shell.
Yes. E = 0 at each point within the conducting material of the shell. Can you use this fact to deduce the net charge on the inside surface of the shell?

TSny said:
Yes. E = 0 at each point within the conducting material of the shell. Can you use this fact to deduce the net charge on the inside surface of the shell?
Did you mean to say "... to deduce the net charge on the outside surface of the shell?"

kuruman said:
Did you mean to say "... to deduce the net charge on the outside surface of the shell?"
I was thinking of first deducing the net charge on the inner surface and then using that to deduce the net charge on the outer surface.

TSny said:
I was thinking of first deducing the net charge on the inner surface and then using that to deduce the net charge on the outer surface.
Yes, as a first step, that would be the way to proceed. Finding the charge on the outer surface is very easy in this case because the shell carries zero net charge and can be done in one step. Not saying where you were headed with your suggestion made me wonder. All is good. :oldsmile:

Last edited:
Likes TSny

1. What is the concept of "Three Charges inside a Metal Sphere"?

The concept of "Three Charges inside a Metal Sphere" refers to a scenario in electrostatics where three charges are placed inside a conducting metal sphere. This sphere is then in equilibrium, meaning that the net electrostatic force on each charge is zero.

2. How does the distribution of charges inside the metal sphere affect the electric field outside the sphere?

The distribution of charges inside the metal sphere affects the electric field outside the sphere by creating a symmetrical pattern of electric field lines. This is because the charges inside the sphere repel each other and distribute themselves evenly along the surface of the sphere, creating a uniform electric field outside the sphere.

3. What happens to the charges inside the metal sphere when an external electric field is applied?

When an external electric field is applied, the charges inside the metal sphere will experience a force and begin to move. However, since the sphere is a conductor, the charges will quickly redistribute themselves in order to cancel out the external electric field inside the sphere. This is known as the Faraday cage effect.

4. How does the size of the sphere and the charges inside it affect the electric field outside the sphere?

The size of the sphere and the charges inside it directly affect the electric field outside the sphere. The larger the sphere, the stronger the electric field will be, and the larger the charges inside the sphere, the stronger the electric field will be. This is because the electric field is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charges and inversely proportional to the distance from the charges.

5. Is it possible for the charges inside the metal sphere to be in equilibrium with an external electric field?

Yes, it is possible for the charges inside the metal sphere to be in equilibrium with an external electric field. This can be achieved by adjusting the magnitude and distribution of the charges inside the sphere to cancel out the effects of the external electric field. This is known as the method of superposition, where the electric fields from the external and internal charges cancel each other out.