Thrust Vectoring - Jet Aircraft

In summary, the F-22's engine is unique because it can vector thrust for manouverability and can fly supersonic without afterburner.
mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
To go off on a tangent - I am watching a discovery channel program about the F22 fighter. A pilot (who looks about 15) is describing how the aircraft's engine is unique because it can vector thrust for manouverability and can fly supersonic without afterburner.
I suppose that's true now that Concorde and the original Harrier are now retired - but it is making me feel old!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I know what you mean. I am someone who thinks he is perpetually 27 years old. When I see someone in a position like that and they are 26 or 27 it amazes me. It just occurred to me the other night watching a hockey game...I would be considered a retirement age player.

The F-22's engines are pretty incredible. The Sukhoi guys have the market on thrust vectoring.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2002313961490667235&q=Sukhoi&total=1728&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1 [Broken]

wow, just wow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cyrus said:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2002313961490667235&q=Sukhoi&total=1728&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1 [Broken]

wow, just wow.

Dude your Avatar ROCKS!

HO HO HO!

Last edited by a moderator:
The U.S Military is a secret to us. I believe what you say earlier, but to launch off an incredible machine like F-22 (Raptor), they will need an incredible afterburner to reach beyond Mach.2, or just even barely break the sound barrier. However, F-22 is a pretty light-weight that packs a bunch, so maybe it can even surpass 1100ft/s without thounsand of thrusting engine. Hey, i know that the U.S Military is introducing "Aurora" in 2014.

stewartcs said:
Dude your Avatar ROCKS!

HO HO HO!
I've heard that American planes would be able to do the cobra maneuver if their avionics didn't prohibit it. The first plane to do it, after all, was the Mig-29, which is basically a knock-off of the F-18. The main reason is that though its neat to watch at an airshow, it isn't terribly useful in combat.

I always thought it was a knock off of an F-15. It does have the great low speed abilities that the F-18 has though.

No, the mig-25 was its own thing. The F-15 is almost a knock-off of the mig-25, but is vastly superior. And you mean the mig29 has great low-speed handling, right (not the 25)? The extended/blended wing root is the key that on both planes.

Last edited:
Wow. The thing does full backflip! Is that the Cobra Maneuver? I've read about that but I'd never seen it.

russ_watters said:
No, the mig-25 was its own thing. The F-15 is almost a knock-off of the mig-25, but is vastly superior. And you mean the mig29 has great low-speed handling, right (not the 25)? The extended/blended wing root is the key that on both planes.
Where'd the Mig 25 come into this? I was referring to the Mig-29.

1. What is thrust vectoring and how does it work?

Thrust vectoring is a technology used in jet aircraft to control the direction of the thrust produced by the engines. It works by altering the direction of the exhaust gases from the engines, allowing for greater maneuverability and control of the aircraft.

2. What are the advantages of using thrust vectoring in jet aircraft?

Thrust vectoring allows for improved maneuverability, especially at low speeds and high angles of attack. It also allows for faster response times and greater control during takeoff and landing. Additionally, thrust vectoring can improve the performance of the aircraft in certain situations, such as during air combat maneuvers.

3. Are there any disadvantages to using thrust vectoring?

One major disadvantage of thrust vectoring is the added complexity and weight to the aircraft, which can increase the cost of production and maintenance. It also requires specialized training for pilots and ground crew to operate and maintain the system.

4. What types of jet aircraft commonly use thrust vectoring?

Thrust vectoring is primarily used in military aircraft, such as fighter jets and attack helicopters. However, some commercial aircraft, such as the Airbus A400M and the Boeing 787 Dreamliner, also use thrust vectoring for improved performance and control.

5. How does thrust vectoring impact fuel efficiency?

Thrust vectoring can have both positive and negative impacts on fuel efficiency. On one hand, it can improve the aircraft's performance, allowing for more efficient flight. On the other hand, the added weight and complexity can lead to increased fuel consumption. Overall, the impact on fuel efficiency will depend on the specific design and use of thrust vectoring in the aircraft.