Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time Dependence of Expectation Values

1. Oct 18, 2012 #1
    Hi,

Please refer to this book (in google archive), and go to section 7.7 (page 85).

http://books.google.com/books?id=MnY1jUP9nlIC&pg=PR11&lpg=PR11&dq=%22time+dependent+expectation+values%22+%22quantum%22+%22harmonic+oscillator%22+-abstract+-annihilation&source=bl&ots=cSOfuC8k9y&sig=Wdc327g7A5yA6n61L0ZLlKmu-Yk&hl=ar&sa=X&ei=dK-AUOagGueF4ASoxoGgCg&ved=0CFcQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q&f=false

I understand Ehrenfest theorem very well, but what the author does when he solved

for the time-dependent expectation value of x, x^2, etc is strange.

I cannot really understand what he is doing. If someone wants to help, you may consider x^2 case (the book solves all the cases so please refer to it).

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2012 #2
    Is there a particular line of his work you are hung up on?

4. Oct 19, 2012 #3
    yes. eqn 7.7.52 is not compatible with ehrenfest theorem.

5. Oct 19, 2012 #4
    Are you sure about that? if you differentiate 7.7.52 wrt to time you get 7.7.51 which is the same thing you get by using 7.7.39.

6. Oct 20, 2012 #5

That's correct because in differentiating the constant vanish, but what about doing it the other way around...

In particular, how originally do you get 7.7.52? specifically that constant term. I understand that the constant term is just the time-independent expectation value but what is the law? what is the relation used? that's the question.

7. Oct 20, 2012 #6
    I think you may be over-thinking it. If df(t)/dt = C, then f(t) can be written as f(t) = f(0) + Ct, i.e. a first order Taylor expansion.

That means that f(t) = <A>t can also be written as <A>t = <A>0 + d/dt(<A>t) * t.

8. Oct 20, 2012 #7
    He just computes it using the definition of expectation for that operator at t=0 in 7.7.53. If you are asking why 52 has that form then the reason is the same that x(t)=x_o+Vt.

9. Oct 21, 2012 #8
    Mathematically that's correct, but I want to see a law in Griffiths or Sakurai's text saying this.

Or even better, I'd like to know what is the used "definition" for the time-dependent expectation value.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook