1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time-dependent Perturbation theory -maths problems

1. Oct 11, 2015 #1

Hey guys,

I signed up here because I needed some information on some quantum physics problems.

My question is related to quantum physics, and more precisely the derivation of time dependent perturbation theory. First of all, I am not able to understand all the maths structures and formulas, and it is in my opinion the biggest difficult I need to overcome to fully understand it. I checked some books and scripts just to find some more information about it, but unfortunately my doubts weren't stirred up. I hope that here I could find some more help and I really appreciate it.

So to begin with:

We get a hamiltonian, that can be written as
    [tex]H(t)=H _{0}+V(t) [/tex], where [tex]V(t)[/tex] is a small time-dependent perturbation.

Let [tex]\psi ^{(0)} _{k} [/tex] be the wave functions of stationary states of unperturbed system with time multiplier. Any solution to the unperturbed wave equation can be expressed as the sum :
    [tex]\psi= \sum_{k}a _{k} \psi ^{(0)} _{k}[/tex]

The solutions to perturbed equation:
    [tex]ih \frac{\delta}{\delta t}\psi=(H _{0}+V)\psi[/tex] (1) (where h is Dirac constant, Planck constant divided by 2 Pi)
    are in the form of:

[tex]\psi= \sum_{k}a _{k}(t)\psi ^{(0)} _{k}[/tex] (2)

Substituting (2) to the (1) and knowing that functins [tex] \psi^{(0)}_{k}[/tex] satisfy and equation :

[tex]ih \frac{\delta}{\delta t }\psi _{k} ^{(0)}=H_{0}\psi _{k} ^{(0)}[/tex]

somehow we obtain: (here is the problem for me. I don't understand how they solve below mentioned equations step by step)

[tex]ih \sum_{k}\psi _{k} ^{(0)} \frac{d}{dt}a _{k}(t)= \sum_{k} a_{k}V\psi _{k} ^{(0)}[/tex]

and then multiplying this equation from left side by [tex]\psi _{m} ^{(0)}* [/tex] and integrating we get :

[tex]ih \frac{d}{dt}a _{m}(t) = \sum_{k}V _{mk}(t)a _{k}(t) [/tex]

where [tex]V _{mk}(t)=\int \psi _{m} ^{(0)*} V\psi _{k} ^{(0)}dq=V _{mk}e ^{i\omega _{mk}t}[/tex]

and [tex]\omega _{mk}= \frac{E _{m} ^{(0)}-E _{k} ^{(0)} }{h}[/tex]

I will be very thankful if someone could explain it to me. I want to mention, that the majority of this text come from Landau book "Quantum mechanics. Non relativistic theory". At the end I want to add that I am Polish, so my English may be not perfect, but I still hope it is enough communicative ;)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2015 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's just product rule of differentiation
    $$\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial t} = \sum_{k} \frac{\partial }{\partial t} \left(a _{k}(t)\psi ^{(0)} _{k}\right) = \sum_{k} a _{k}(t) \frac{\partial \psi^{(0)} _{k}}{\partial t} + \psi ^{(0)} _{k} \frac{\partial a _{k}(t)}{\partial t}$$
    Is that not what you can't understand?

4. Oct 11, 2015 #3
    Ye,it is obvoius relation from mathematial analysis ;)
    the derivative of a sum is the sum of the derivatives.
    So it looks like that (step by step):

[tex]ih\frac{\delta}{\delta t}\sum_{k}a _{k}(t)\psi _{k}^{(0)}=(H _{0}+V)\sum_{k}{a _{k}(t)\psi _{k}^{(0)}[/tex]

[tex]\Leftrightarrow ih\left( \sum_{k}a_{k}(t) \frac{\delta}{\delta t} \psi_{k}^{(0)}+\sum_{k} \frac{d}{dt} a_{k}(t) \psi_{k}^{(0)} \right)=H_{0} \sum_{k}a_{k}(t)\psi_{k}^{(0)}+V\sum_{k}a_{k}(t)\psi_{k}^{(0)}[/tex]

From [tex]ih\frac{\delta}\delta t\psi_{k}^{(0)}=H_{0}\psi_{k}^{(0)}[/tex] we obtain by multiplying boths sides by[tex]\left(\frac{-i}{h}\right) \Rightarrow \frac{\delta}{\delta t}\psi_{k}^{(0)}=-\frac{i}{h}H_{0}\psi_{k}^{(0)}[/tex]. Substituting this, gives us the final result
    [tex]ih \sum_{k}\psi_{k}^{(0)}\frac{d}{d t}a_{k}(t)=\sum_{k}a_{k}V\psi_{k}^{0}[/tex]

But the problem is to multiply this equation by [tex]\psi_{m}^(0*)[/tex] and then taking integral:

[tex]ih\int\sum_{k}\psi_{m}^{(0*)}\psi_{k}^{(0)}\frac{d}{dt}a_{k}(t)=\int\sum_{k}\psi_{m}^{(0)*}V\psi_{k}^{(0)}[/tex]

5. Oct 11, 2015 #4
    Ok, so I would retype this onto form [tex]ih\sum_{k}\int\psi_{m}^{(0)*}\psi_{k}^{(0)}\frac{d}{dt}a_{k}(t)=\sum_{k}\int\psi_{m}^{(0)*}V\psi_{k}^{(0)}[/tex]
    and then knowing that the integral [tex] \int \psi_{m}^{(0)*}\psi_{k}^{(0)} [/tex] can be expressed as the inner product [tex](\psi_{m}^{(0)*},\psi_{k}^{(0)})=\delta_{mn}[/tex]
    So for all [tex]k\neq m[/tex] components of the sum are zero, and finally we obtain: [tex] ih\frac{d}{dt}a_{m}(t)=\sum_{k}\int\psi_{m}^{(0)*}V\psi_{k}^{(0)}[/tex]

What do you think about it ?

6. Oct 11, 2015 #5

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There should be ##a_k(t)## in the right hand side, other than that I don't see anything wrong with your derivation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted