Time-dependent Perturbation theory -maths problems

In summary, the author is looking for help with quantum physics problems, and specifically the derivation of time-dependent perturbation theory. He is not able to understand all of the maths structures and formulas, and is hoping to find help here. He finds help by substituting equations (1) and (2), and then understanding that the product rule of differentiation applies. He ends up solving for the derivative of a sum, and getting that -i/hH0*=0. This last equation gives him the final result that ih(d/dt)a(t)=-i/hH0*
Imperatore

Hey guys,

I signed up here because I needed some information on some quantum physics problems.

My question is related to quantum physics, and more precisely the derivation of time dependent perturbation theory. First of all, I am not able to understand all the maths structures and formulas, and it is in my opinion the biggest difficult I need to overcome to fully understand it. I checked some books and scripts just to find some more information about it, but unfortunately my doubts weren't stirred up. I hope that here I could find some more help and I really appreciate it.

So to begin with:

We get a hamiltonian, that can be written as
[tex]H(t)=H _{0}+V(t) [/tex], where [tex]V(t)[/tex] is a small time-dependent perturbation.

Let [tex]\psi ^{(0)} _{k} [/tex] be the wave functions of stationary states of unperturbed system with time multiplier. Any solution to the unperturbed wave equation can be expressed as the sum :
[tex]\psi= \sum_{k}a _{k} \psi ^{(0)} _{k}[/tex]

The solutions to perturbed equation:
[tex]ih \frac{\delta}{\delta t}\psi=(H _{0}+V)\psi[/tex] (1) (where h is Dirac constant, Planck constant divided by 2 Pi)
are in the form of:

[tex]\psi= \sum_{k}a _{k}(t)\psi ^{(0)} _{k}[/tex] (2)

Substituting (2) to the (1) and knowing that functins [tex] \psi^{(0)}_{k}[/tex] satisfy and equation :

[tex]ih \frac{\delta}{\delta t }\psi _{k} ^{(0)}=H_{0}\psi _{k} ^{(0)}[/tex]

somehow we obtain: (here is the problem for me. I don't understand how they solve below mentioned equations step by step)

[tex]ih \sum_{k}\psi _{k} ^{(0)} \frac{d}{dt}a _{k}(t)= \sum_{k} a_{k}V\psi _{k} ^{(0)}[/tex]

and then multiplying this equation from left side by [tex]\psi _{m} ^{(0)}* [/tex] and integrating we get :

[tex]ih \frac{d}{dt}a _{m}(t) = \sum_{k}V _{mk}(t)a _{k}(t) [/tex]

where [tex]V _{mk}(t)=\int \psi _{m} ^{(0)*} V\psi _{k} ^{(0)}dq=V _{mk}e ^{i\omega _{mk}t}[/tex]

and [tex]\omega _{mk}= \frac{E _{m} ^{(0)}-E _{k} ^{(0)} }{h}[/tex]

I will be very thankful if someone could explain it to me. I want to mention, that the majority of this text come from Landau book "Quantum mechanics. Non relativistic theory". At the end I want to add that I am Polish, so my English may be not perfect, but I still hope it is enough communicative ;)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Imperatore said:
(here is the problem for me. I don't understand how they solve below mentioned equations step by step)
It's just product rule of differentiation
$$\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial t} = \sum_{k} \frac{\partial }{\partial t} \left(a _{k}(t)\psi ^{(0)} _{k}\right) = \sum_{k} a _{k}(t) \frac{\partial \psi^{(0)} _{k}}{\partial t} + \psi ^{(0)} _{k} \frac{\partial a _{k}(t)}{\partial t}$$
Is that not what you can't understand?

Likes Imperatore
Ye,it is obvoius relation from mathematial analysis ;)
the derivative of a sum is the sum of the derivatives.
So it looks like that (step by step):

[tex]ih\frac{\delta}{\delta t}\sum_{k}a _{k}(t)\psi _{k}^{(0)}=(H _{0}+V)\sum_{k}{a _{k}(t)\psi _{k}^{(0)}[/tex] [tex]\Leftrightarrow ih\left( \sum_{k}a_{k}(t) \frac{\delta}{\delta t} \psi_{k}^{(0)}+\sum_{k} \frac{d}{dt} a_{k}(t) \psi_{k}^{(0)} \right)=H_{0} \sum_{k}a_{k}(t)\psi_{k}^{(0)}+V\sum_{k}a_{k}(t)\psi_{k}^{(0)}[/tex]

From [tex]ih\frac{\delta}\delta t\psi_{k}^{(0)}=H_{0}\psi_{k}^{(0)}[/tex] we obtain by multiplying boths sides by[tex]\left(\frac{-i}{h}\right) \Rightarrow \frac{\delta}{\delta t}\psi_{k}^{(0)}=-\frac{i}{h}H_{0}\psi_{k}^{(0)}[/tex]. Substituting this, gives us the final result
[tex]ih \sum_{k}\psi_{k}^{(0)}\frac{d}{d t}a_{k}(t)=\sum_{k}a_{k}V\psi_{k}^{0}[/tex]

But the problem is to multiply this equation by [tex]\psi_{m}^(0*)[/tex] and then taking integral:

[tex]ih\int\sum_{k}\psi_{m}^{(0*)}\psi_{k}^{(0)}\frac{d}{dt}a_{k}(t)=\int\sum_{k}\psi_{m}^{(0)*}V\psi_{k}^{(0)}[/tex]

Ok, so I would retype this onto form [tex]ih\sum_{k}\int\psi_{m}^{(0)*}\psi_{k}^{(0)}\frac{d}{dt}a_{k}(t)=\sum_{k}\int\psi_{m}^{(0)*}V\psi_{k}^{(0)}[/tex]
and then knowing that the integral [tex] \int \psi_{m}^{(0)*}\psi_{k}^{(0)} [/tex] can be expressed as the inner product [tex](\psi_{m}^{(0)*},\psi_{k}^{(0)})=\delta_{mn}[/tex]
So for all [tex]k\neq m[/tex] components of the sum are zero, and finally we obtain: [tex] ih\frac{d}{dt}a_{m}(t)=\sum_{k}\int\psi_{m}^{(0)*}V\psi_{k}^{(0)}[/tex]

What do you think about it ?

There should be ##a_k(t)## in the right hand side, other than that I don't see anything wrong with your derivation.

Likes Imperatore

1. What is time-dependent perturbation theory?

Time-dependent perturbation theory is a mathematical method used to solve problems in quantum mechanics where the system is subject to a time-dependent perturbation, or an external force that changes with time.

2. How does time-dependent perturbation theory differ from time-independent perturbation theory?

Time-independent perturbation theory is used for systems with a time-independent Hamiltonian, while time-dependent perturbation theory is used for systems with a time-dependent Hamiltonian. Time-dependent perturbation theory takes into account the changing external forces, while time-independent perturbation theory only considers the effects of a constant perturbation.

3. What is the perturbation parameter in time-dependent perturbation theory?

The perturbation parameter is a small quantity that is used to measure the strength of the perturbation in the system. It is typically denoted by λ and is used to expand the time-dependent Schrödinger equation in a power series.

4. How do you solve a time-dependent perturbation problem?

The first step in solving a time-dependent perturbation problem is to write out the time-dependent Schrödinger equation for the system. Then, the perturbation parameter is introduced and the equation is expanded in a power series. The solution can then be found by using perturbation theory to solve for the coefficients in the power series.

5. What are some applications of time-dependent perturbation theory?

Time-dependent perturbation theory is used in a variety of fields, including quantum mechanics, chemistry, and condensed matter physics. It is often used to study the behavior of atoms and molecules in the presence of external fields, such as electromagnetic radiation. It is also used in the study of quantum systems in solid-state materials and in the field of quantum computing.