Time for Faraday disk brake to lose half its kinetic energy

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
6c 6f 76 65
Messages
22
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


hmpbasic.gif

(The picture is not from my textbook)

A Faraday Dynamo is used as a brake. The brushes are connected with an external resistance [itex]R_\Omega[/itex]. The circular disk has mass m, and angular velocity [itex]\omega_0[/itex] when t = 0.

a) How long does it take until the kinetic energy of the disk is halved?

Homework Equations



[itex]emf =\frac{B R^2 \omega}{2}[/itex]
[itex]dW=P dt[/itex]
[itex]P=\frac{(emf)^2}{R_\Omega}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution


I have no idea how to figure this problem out.
I've tried integrating dW from [itex]\frac{1}{2}m \omega^2_0 R^2[/itex] to [itex]\frac{1}{4}m \omega^2_0 R^2[/itex] setting that equal to the integral from t=0 to t of P dt (where I substitute P for the emf)

Looking at the answer, [itex]t=\frac{m R_\Omega ln(2)}{B^2 R^2}[/itex], I figured I need to integrate over [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex], in order to get the ln(2), but I've got no clue how to find that x. Any help much appriciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Using energy ideas, how is the rate of decrease of the KE of the disk related to the electrical power produced?
 
TSny said:
Using energy ideas, how is the rate of decrease of the KE of the disk related to the electrical power produced?

Sorry, I don't quite know what you mean. The KE and the electrical power produced is linked via the angular velocity with the formula: [itex]W=\frac{(\frac{B R^2 \omega}{2})^2}{R_\Omega}t=\Delta KE[/itex]
 
6c 6f 76 65 said:
Sorry, I don't quite know what you mean. The KE and the electrical power produced is linked via the angular velocity with the formula: [itex]W=\frac{(\frac{B R^2 \omega}{2})^2}{R_\Omega}t=\Delta KE[/itex]

Note that ##\omega## decreases with time. So, the electrical power is not going to be constant. That means the link between electrical power P and KE must be written in terms of an instantaneous rate of change of KE (with care given to signs).
 
[itex]\frac{dKE}{dt}=-\frac{(\frac{B R^2 \omega}{2})^2}{R_\Omega}[/itex]
 
Last edited:
6c 6f 76 65 said:
[itex]\frac{dKE}{dt}=-\frac{(\frac{B R^2 \omega}{2})^2}{R_\Omega}[/itex]

Good. What if you express ##\omega^2## on the right side in terms of KE and moment of inertia ##\small I##? If you let K stand for KE, can you express the equation as follows? $$\frac{dK}{dt} = -b K$$
Here ##b## is a collection of constants.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Thank you so much! Here's what I got:

[itex]\frac{dK}{dt}=-\frac{B^2 R^4 \omega^2}{4 R_\Omega}=-\frac{B^2 R^2}{2 m R_\Omega}K[/itex], used that [itex]K=\frac{1}{2}m \omega^2 R^2[/itex]
Solution for diff. equation: [itex]K=K_0 e^{-\frac{B^2 R^2}{2 m R_\Omega}t}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{1}{2}=\frac{K}{K_0}=e^{-\frac{B^2 R^2}{2 m R_\Omega}t}[/itex]
[itex]ln(\frac{1}{2})=-ln(2)=-\frac{B^2 R^2}{2 m R_\Omega}t[/itex]
[itex]t=\frac{2 m R_\Omega ln(2)}{B^2 R^2}[/itex]

But it's not quite right, there's a 2 here
 
6c 6f 76 65 said:
used that [itex]K=\frac{1}{2}m \omega^2 R^2[/itex]

Check this. ##K = \frac{1}{2}I\omega^2##. What is ##I## for a solid disk?
 
[itex]I=\frac{1}{2}m R^2[/itex], thank you so much!