Time for human genome to diverge 1% at 5000 mutations per day

  • Thread starter Thread starter jesooka
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Human
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
jesooka
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I am having trouble figuring out this question:

Assuming a non-overlapping mutation rate of 5000 mut/day. How long in years would it take for the human genome to diverge 1% (the genetic difference between humans and chimpanzees) from its current state?

If there are 3 x 10^9 pair in the human genome and 1% of this is 3 x 10^7 how do I figure out the amount of time to reach the 1%? I am stuck! I keep getting 16 years, I know that the number should be closer to 10 million years. Any starter tips or clues?
 
Biology news on Phys.org
You have to put in generation time :) how many times can a human reproduce in 16 years? And how did you get 5000 mut/day?