Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time is interconnected with mass, right?

1. Jun 6, 2009 #1
    If I was moving at the speed of light therefore mass less - time would stop for me right?

Or if I was a blackhole time would be accelerating infinitely pass me?

Time is interconnected with mass, right?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Time

Actually, your questions seem to have to do more with special relativity than with quantum physics.

Not as far as I know.
    When you get closer and closer to the speed of light, time will slow down for you. In a limit it would stop completely, but that's really a limit (and you cannot reach it). Trying to extend this to actually travelling at the speed of light is both physically and mathematically incorrect. You can never compare someone/-thing moving slower than the speed of light with something travelling at the speed of light.

A black hole is an even more complicated story, since special relativity does not suffice there and one should look at the full theory of general relativity.

That's a bit of a vague statement. For things with mass, moving at velocities with respect to something else, relative measurements will (have to) differ in order to give the same physical outcomes of experiments. I would not say that time is directly interconnected with mass.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook