Is the mass of a photon stationary in space?

In summary: I was reading a recent physics article on the google home page that stated that the current theory of mass is that it is a photon moving at light speed but stationary in space. My analogy of this was like a photon moving in a circle but it is not moving. I wish I could sight the article but can't. Do you know if this is true? This would then explain the energy mass equivalency of E=mC^2 or m=E/C^2. if you know of any articles written about this could you please put a link to them in the answer. thanks.In summary, this looks like nonsense.
azcowboy702
I was reading a recent physics article on the google home page that stated that the current theory of mass is that it is a photon moving at light speed but stationary in space. My analogy of this was like a photon moving in a circle but it is not moving. I wish I could sight the article but can't. Do you know if this is true? This would then explain the energy mass equivalency of E=mC^2 or m=E/C^2. if you know of any articles written about this could you please put a link to them in the answer. thanks.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
azcowboy702 said:
I was reading a recent physics article on the google home page
Please give a specific reference. We can't discuss something we can't even read.

azcowboy702 said:
the current theory of mass is that it is a photon moving at light speed but stationary in space.
This looks like nonsense.

Likes Vanadium 50, topsquark and Bystander
azcowboy702 said:
I was reading a recent physics article on the google home page...
I'd be more than a bit wary, considering the source!

Also: The general relationship is
##E^2 = (mc^2)^2 + (pc)^2##

Since a photon carries momentum you couldn't make the correct mass equivalence, even if it applied, which it doesn't. For a photon, m = 0, leading to E = pc.

-Dan

Likes DennisN and ohwilleke
azcowboy702 said:
I was reading a recent physics article on the google home page that stated that the current theory of mass is that it is a photon moving at light speed but stationary in space. My analogy of this was like a photon moving in a circle but it is not moving. I wish I could sight the article but can't. Do you know if this is true? This would then explain the energy mass equivalency of E=mC^2 or m=E/C^2. if you know of any articles written about this could you please put a link to them in the answer. thanks.
Photons can't be stationary in space.

Likes topsquark
jedishrfu said:
There was a GR idea years ago by Wheeler called a Geon which could be light traveling in a circle Held together by its own gravitational field energy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geon_(physics)
Either light or gravitational radiation.

Likes topsquark and jedishrfu

1. What is the mass of a photon?

The mass of a photon is zero. This is because photons are particles of light that travel at the speed of light, and according to Einstein's theory of relativity, objects with mass cannot travel at the speed of light.

2. Is the mass of a photon constant?

Yes, the mass of a photon is constant. This means that regardless of its energy or frequency, a photon will always have zero mass. This is a fundamental property of photons and is supported by numerous experiments and theories, including the theory of relativity.

3. Does the mass of a photon change in different environments?

No, the mass of a photon does not change in different environments. This is because photons do not interact with other particles in the same way that massive particles do. Therefore, their mass remains constant regardless of the environment they are in.

4. Can the mass of a photon be measured?

No, the mass of a photon cannot be measured. This is because photons do not have rest mass, and any attempt to measure their mass would result in a value of zero. However, their energy and momentum can be measured, which are related to their mass through Einstein's famous equation, E=mc².

5. Why is it important to understand the mass of a photon?

Understanding the mass of a photon is crucial for many areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics, relativity, and cosmology. It also has practical applications, such as in the development of technologies like solar panels and lasers. Additionally, studying the properties of photons can provide valuable insights into the nature of light and the fundamental laws of the universe.