Is the mass of a photon stationary in space?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter azcowboy702
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mass Photon Space
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
5 replies · 3K views
azcowboy702
Messages
1
Reaction score
1
I was reading a recent physics article on the google home page that stated that the current theory of mass is that it is a photon moving at light speed but stationary in space. My analogy of this was like a photon moving in a circle but it is not moving. I wish I could sight the article but can't. Do you know if this is true? This would then explain the energy mass equivalency of E=mC^2 or m=E/C^2. if you know of any articles written about this could you please put a link to them in the answer. thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
azcowboy702 said:
I was reading a recent physics article on the google home page
Please give a specific reference. We can't discuss something we can't even read.

azcowboy702 said:
the current theory of mass is that it is a photon moving at light speed but stationary in space.
This looks like nonsense.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Vanadium 50, topsquark and Bystander
azcowboy702 said:
I was reading a recent physics article on the google home page...
I'd be more than a bit wary, considering the source!

Also: The general relationship is
##E^2 = (mc^2)^2 + (pc)^2##

Since a photon carries momentum you couldn't make the correct mass equivalence, even if it applied, which it doesn't. For a photon, m = 0, leading to E = pc.

-Dan
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN and ohwilleke
azcowboy702 said:
I was reading a recent physics article on the google home page that stated that the current theory of mass is that it is a photon moving at light speed but stationary in space. My analogy of this was like a photon moving in a circle but it is not moving. I wish I could sight the article but can't. Do you know if this is true? This would then explain the energy mass equivalency of E=mC^2 or m=E/C^2. if you know of any articles written about this could you please put a link to them in the answer. thanks.
Photons can't be stationary in space.