Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time travel stories without paradoxes

1. Nov 1, 2013 #1
    Hi,

I'm looking for time travel stories (preferably movies) without paradoxes (grandfather paradox and similar). Also, I'm not looking for stories that try to explain changes in the past with the creation of alternate timelines. I'm talking about stories where people travel into the past and do things which in the end don't change the present from which they departed. Coming to my mind:

- Terminator series
    - 12 Monkeys
    - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

And maybe Primer, but I'm too confused to tell.

Any more?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2013 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Travel into the future at one second per second is free of paradoxes. So is relativistic time compression.

Movies which did not exploit time travel paradoxes? That is simply how they told a fictional story.

4. Nov 1, 2013 #3

Ibix

Science Advisor

The Time Traveller's Wife
    Whichever one of the Harry Potter stories has the Time Turner.

Star Trek: First Contact. Star Trek in general plays it both ways - City On The Edge of Forever destroys all of history; Time's Arrow is completely pre-destined.

There's a rather odd Robert Heinlein short story called All You Zombies... that relies on pre-destination.

I'm sure there are loads more.

5. Nov 2, 2013 #4
    Thanks, I found that this conjecture is called the "en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novikov_self-consistency_principle" [Broken]. On the Wiki page there are also all the examples we found and a lot more.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook