Titrating granular NaOH to the stoichiometric point without overshooting

  • Thread starter Thread starter thearny
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
thearny
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
I have recently entered the world of chemistry, and am required to neutralise an acid to the stoichiometric point using NaOH. Problem is I have granular NaOH and try titrating it, but keep missing under or over. Is there an easy way to control this that I do not know about?
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
did you try making a titration curve and try to find the equivalence point of the graph?
 
The standard procedure is to first make a solution of NaOH of 'known' molarity (note NaOH is quite hydroscopic). Second is to take an acid of know molarity and titrate the base to find it's real molarity. Once this is known you carefully (aka drop wise) titrate the unknown.
 
I forgot one part. You need to start with a relatively high concentration of a stock base solution. Depending on the statistics you want, you will need to due quantitative dilution of the base until the volume of base used in the titration is significant.