Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Titration of Nitrous Acid with Sodium Hydroxide

1. Apr 16, 2010 #1
    A 25.0 ml sample of 0.150 M HNO2 is titrated with a 0.150 M NaOH solution. What is the pH at the equivalence point? The Ka of HNO2 is 4.50x10-4

What I can't get is the fact I don't know how much has already been titrated at the equivalence point. So it's difficult to know the total volume to find the new concentration.

The answer is supposed to be pH = 8.11, and I could guess that with the titration of a weak acid with a strong base that the pH will rise a bit. But I can't presume how to do this mathematically.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2010 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you are having trouble with this, you should take a step back ... and start at the definition of the equivalence point. What is the definition?

4. Apr 16, 2010 #3
    Both concentrations are in equal proportion and neither consumes the other. So that means there is 25.0 + 25.0 for a combined total of 50ml?

5. Apr 16, 2010 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Correct. Now, what's the next step?

6. Apr 18, 2010 #5
    Find the new Molarity of either substance?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook