Titration Chemistry Problem: How to Calculate Volume and pH at Equivalence Point

In summary, the student is having trouble solving a homework problem in chemistry, and is looking for help.
YoungStudent
Sorry to disturb. I'm really bad at chemistry and i was hopping i could find some help...
My major doubt is about Titration for now and how to find what is asked even if i got the data needed.

Homework Statement

25.0 cm3 of 1.00 x 10-1 mol dm3 hypobromous acid ( HBrO ) solution is titrated with an aqueous solution of sodium hydroxide, NaOH(aq) with a concentration of 8.00 x10-2 mol dm-3

Homework Equations

Ka for hypobromous at 25º : 2.00 x 10-9
pKw of water at 25ºC : 14.0

The Attempt at a Solution

1-Calculate the volume of sodium hydroxide that must be added to reach the equivalent point?

2-Calculate the initial PH of the solution Hypobromous acid at 25º?

3- Calculate the PH at the equivalence point of the titration at 25º?

rather than the answers i would like someone to help me with which formulas i should use to solve it.

Thx in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have nicely used the template to dodge the first homework rule of the site - you have to show your attempts at solving the question to receive help.

Browse this site: http://www.titrations.info/ - it contains answers to all your questions (and more).

Borek said:
You have nicely used the template to dodge the first homework rule of the site - you have to show your attempts at solving the question to receive help.

Browse this site: http://www.titrations.info/ - it contains answers to all your questions (and more).

I did not asked for the answers i just don't have my template with the formulas, therefore i don't know which ones to use

But you were taught some equations used to calculate pH, weren't you? You were also taught something about stoichiometry, about reaction balancing - these are the building blocks that are required to solve the problem.

Chemistry is the only subject i really dislike in school but i have to do it, my media from 0-100 would be near 90 without chemistry, but it lowers it to 75.

Therefore i decided that i would not take it to the final exams, but the teacher decided that based on this type of exercises he will do a last test.

The exercise isn't even an homework, i found it in a school exercise book, but the method to solve it wasnt there and i haven't got no idea how to do it. I pass the exame and I am done with chemistry.

What is a titration chemistry problem?

A titration chemistry problem is a type of analytical chemistry problem that involves determining the concentration of a particular substance in a solution by adding a known amount of another substance to the solution until a reaction is complete. This is typically done using an indicator to determine the endpoint of the reaction.

What is the purpose of a titration in chemistry?

The purpose of a titration in chemistry is to accurately determine the concentration of a particular substance in a solution. This is important for many reasons, such as quality control in manufacturing, determining the purity of a substance, and calculating the amount of a substance needed for a chemical reaction.

What are the key components of a titration setup?

The key components of a titration setup include a burette, which is used to add the titrant solution to the sample solution, an indicator, which is used to determine the endpoint of the reaction, and a flask or beaker to hold the sample solution. Other components may include a stir plate or magnetic stir bar to ensure thorough mixing and a clamp to hold the burette in place.

What is the difference between acid-base and redox titrations?

Acid-base titrations involve the neutralization of an acid or base with a strong base or acid, respectively. Redox titrations involve the transfer of electrons between two substances. In acid-base titrations, an indicator is used to determine the endpoint, while in redox titrations, the endpoint is determined by a change in color or potential.

What are some common sources of error in titration experiments?

Some common sources of error in titration experiments include inaccurate measurement of solutions, improper calibration of equipment, improper mixing of solutions, and presence of impurities in the sample solution. It is important to carefully follow the steps of the titration procedure and use precise and accurate measurements to minimize these errors.