Titriation Calculation for Weak Acid, Strong Base

In summary, the titration curve for a weak acid like acetic will be shifted to the right due to the significant dissociation that will take place. You can use an equation like Ka = (H)*(Ac)/(HAc) to find the important points on the curve. Once you have found these points, you can sketch the graph.
linuxux

Homework Statement

Sketch curve of pH vs volume of base added for the titration of 50.0ml of 1.00M acetic acid with 1.00M sodium hydroxide.

Homework Equations

none, i think.

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, first off, this is a weak acid, the first point on the curve would be the initial [H+] in the solution, so pH=-log([H+]). But i thought weak acids have very few H+ ions, almost none, thus the initial [H+]=0, but there is no exponent (other than infinity) that will give you zero, so this must be a situation where you use an ICE table to find [H+], but i was given no Ka value! so how can i solve for "x" in the ICE table? Can someone show me exactly how to find the important points so i can sketch the graph. thanks.

p.s. the pKa value of acetic acid was given in a previous question, i wonder if i am allowed to use it in this problem? I am really stuck here...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Linuxux,
You need to understand that a weak acid, such as acetic, will dissociate in water, so the dissociation for this acid will be significant. Now about not being given the Ka value for acetic acid, just look in a table of acid dissociation constants. An analytical chemistry textbook here gives a Ka of 1.75*10^(-5). Now, simply make use of the expression and equation for Ka. Keep in mind the amounts of base titrant that you add.

To start with, having no base yet added, you use something like:

Ka = (H)*(Ac)/(HAc), in which the items in parentheses are the molar concentrations, using H for hydronium, Ac for acetate anion, HAc for acetic acid.

thanks for help.

i got my answer here:
http://www.brynmawr.edu/Acads/Chem/Chem104lc/study/buffer6.html

check your answer by comparing you pH/pOH value with the case that applies to you here, http://www.ausetute.com.au/titrcurv.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is titration and how is it used in chemistry?

Titration is a laboratory technique used to determine the concentration of an unknown substance by reacting it with a known substance. It is commonly used in chemistry to analyze the concentration of acids, bases, and other chemicals.

2. What is the purpose of titration calculation for weak acid and strong base?

The purpose of titration calculation for weak acid and strong base is to determine the concentration of the weak acid by reacting it with a strong base. This can help in understanding the strength of the acid and its ability to resist changes in pH.

3. How do you calculate the titration curve for a weak acid and strong base?

The titration curve for a weak acid and strong base can be calculated by plotting the pH of the solution against the volume of the base added. This curve will show the gradual increase in pH as the base is added and the equivalence point where the acid has been completely neutralized.

4. What is the difference between a strong acid and a weak acid in titration calculation?

A strong acid has a higher concentration and therefore requires less base to reach the equivalence point compared to a weak acid. Additionally, a strong acid will have a steeper titration curve, while a weak acid will have a more gradual curve.

5. What are the important factors to consider when performing a titration calculation for weak acid and strong base?

The key factors to consider when performing a titration calculation for weak acid and strong base include accurate measurement of volumes, precise determination of the equivalence point, and proper selection of indicators to determine the endpoint of the titration. It is also important to consider the strength and concentration of the acid and base being used in the titration.