1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

To become physicist which branch i should take ?

1. Apr 7, 2013 #1
    First of all i am an eleventh class student who has just passed his tenth standard . I dont know much about engineering branches . I always admire the work of stephen hawkins and michio kaku . Please tell me the way to get my dream career as a theoretical physicist.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2013 #2

fss

You should probably major in physics when you go to university.

4. Apr 8, 2013 #3
    What is doing major?Please explain me about it . Also suggest some good institutions for it in India.

5. Apr 8, 2013 #4
    Hi akshay! Welcome to PF
    You need to study hard and do a integrated BS-MS program in physics offered by IIT's in India. You need to prepare for IIT-JEE exam and get a good score. To become a physicist, you would need a PhD in Physics.

6. Apr 8, 2013 #5
    Is their any other institute other than iit. As get admission in iit in this competition is difficult. Also do you know about some institute in India where i could get a good job and at what salary as my parents prefer branch which get you money and fame.

7. Apr 8, 2013 #6
    The best Research Oriented University in India is IISc Bangalore, admission through KVPY & JEE. Other is cmi but the admission test of cmi is full of Mathematics.

8. Apr 8, 2013 #7
    If "full of mathematics" is a "but" in admission tests you should reconsider wanting to become a physicist, anyways. If money, fame, healthy lifestyle and sexual attractiveness to women is what you are looking for, theoretical physics is the way to go. Well, not really. But at least you have a chance to become a role model for nerdy students.

9. Apr 8, 2013 #8
    I think you should take this one step at a time. There are good places to do physics like IISc,Bangalore. Getting admission into them is also really difficult. I didn't know about all these institutes when I was in High school. You should definitely consider IIT as your first option.
    Oh! regarding parents and salary, lot of Indians don't know about professional research.If you say I want to be a physicist, they would reply something like "So you wanna become a Einstein,huh?".

10. Apr 8, 2013 #9
    I wonder if Indian parents would actually say "Bose" instead of "Einstein".

11. Apr 8, 2013 #10
    Unfortunately, Bose is not a house hold name here.But it should be Bose, he is a great physicist.:approve:

12. Apr 8, 2013 #11
    C V Raman is quite famous Physicist in India for giving Example as a person in Physics.

Anyway thread in going in other way.

13. Apr 8, 2013 #12
    Just Join Undergraduate in Physics with Mathematics from IISc, cmi, St. Stphens Delhi. or some Reputed University and Try some Experimental Workshops & Internships from TIFR, BARC, CSIR etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook