1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

To take DiFF EQ vs. PDE (sequence)

1. Nov 5, 2015 #1

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Greetings all,

I am registering for spring 2016 courses and have one question.

I can pick up a math course and I have the option between two courses: 430 Formal Logic vs. 481 Applied Partial Differential Equations.

I am a math and physics double major.

Course list and description: http://catalog.uic.edu/ucat/course-descriptions/math/

I have taking the intro to diff equations course 220.
    I think taking further differential equation courses would be a very good idea for me and my future.
    However, due to time constraints of other courses I cannot take class 480: Applied Differential equations this semester.

So my question is: Is there a reason why I should wait and take 480 Applied Differential Equations before I take class 481 Partial Differential Equations? Will I be unprepared for 481 if I do not take 480 first? Or are they completely separate.

If so, is there any reason to consider taking Formal Logic over 481 knowing that I am interested in mathematical physics? I would think PDE would help me more.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2015 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Don't worry, 220 will be enough preparation for 481.

There is no reason to take Formal logic for physics unless logic is of a significant interest to you.

4. Nov 5, 2015 #3

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Thank you for the response! That helps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook