Multivariable Calculus or Diff EQ over the summer?

In summary, it appears that taking Differential equations over the summer might be a better idea than Multivariable Calculus, as it is a more "important" math class for physics majors. However, it is still possible to achieve good grades in Multivariable Calculus if you take it during the fall semester.
ziggybenji
Hi everyone, this is my first post and so I just want to say thank you in advance for any responses to my question. I recently applied for an internship which will take place over the summer of 2014 and it looks like I have a good chance at actually being accepted for the program. However, I have my academic career planned out for the next year and half. Within my academic plan I was prepared to take Mulitvariable Calculus over the summer. However, it looks like my internship might conflict with this course, but I still have the opportunity to take Differential equations. I have been told by other students within my program that multivariable calc would be ok to take over the summer but that it would be in my best interest to wait for diff eq until the fall because it is a more "important/integral" math class for physics majors. Do any of you find this to be true? I am assuming that they are taking into account that summer sessions are shorter and so there are certain topics which are left out so that only the most important concepts are covered. If this holds to be true then maybe I will just wait, I was hoping to get some insight from those of you who have already completed the math sequence.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think taking ODEs in the summer will hurt. In fact, I think ODEs would be better than multivar calc as a summer class. In my experience, some material from Calc III took a while to really sink in. My ODE class on the other hand was pretty straightforward; There is usually a recipe to follow to solve ODEs.

My bigger worry would be whether you will be spending more time learning math than excelling in your summer internship. If it is research of some sort, I would suggest taking no classes and focusing only on research. If it is in industry, then a summer course might be a good idea.

I took ODE over the summer and got an A. It is not a bad class. probably easier than calc 3 due to the fact that calc 3 is usually a 4 credit class which would be gruelling in summer term. You won't need calc 3 for diffyQ.

Calc 3 has a lot more content than DE (in quarter system schools, multivariable calc is two classes) and I found it to be significantly harder. I think DE is the easiest of the lower division math courses to grasp since it focuses mainly on techniques as opposed to new concepts that might be more abstract than you are used to. I wouldn't worry about missing out on any content; likely, lower division DE will not be the last DE class you take.

Thanks again guys for your responses, I will definitely heed your warnings and take everything into account before pulling the trigger.

1. What is the difference between Multivariable Calculus and Differential Equations?

Multivariable Calculus deals with the study of functions of multiple variables, while Differential Equations focus on the study of mathematical equations involving derivatives. Multivariable Calculus is used to understand and analyze physical systems with multiple variables, while Differential Equations are used to model and solve real-life problems.

2. Why should I take Multivariable Calculus or Differential Equations over the summer?

Taking these courses over the summer can help you save time and stay on track with your academic plan. It also allows you to focus on one subject at a time and potentially have a lighter course load during the regular school year. Additionally, summer courses typically have smaller class sizes, allowing for more individualized attention from the professor.

3. Do I need to have a strong background in Calculus before taking Multivariable Calculus or Differential Equations?

Yes, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in Calculus before taking Multivariable Calculus or Differential Equations. These courses build upon the concepts learned in Calculus, such as limits, derivatives, and integrals. Without a solid understanding of Calculus, it may be difficult to grasp the material in these courses.

4. Are there any prerequisites for taking Multivariable Calculus or Differential Equations over the summer?

Yes, most universities require students to have completed Calculus I, II, and III before taking Multivariable Calculus or Differential Equations. Some schools may also have additional prerequisites, such as Linear Algebra or Differential Calculus. It is important to check with your university or program requirements before enrolling in these courses.

5. How can I prepare for Multivariable Calculus or Differential Equations over the summer?

To prepare for these courses, it is recommended to review the fundamental concepts of Calculus, such as derivatives, integrals, and basic algebra. You can also practice solving problems from previous Calculus courses to strengthen your understanding of the material. It may also be helpful to familiarize yourself with the course material and textbook before the summer term begins.