1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advice: Software: ROOT and course: Applied PDE

1. Jan 10, 2016 #1

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Tomorrow I embark on a new semester and this semester I have the pleasure of learning applied partial differential equations and the software of "ROOT"

ROOT: https://root.cern.ch/

So I am here to solicite advice.

1. In regards to ROOT, is there anything that can set me up better for a more successful semester? I am moderately code-savvy. I have it installed on my mac, windows, and linux. The mac is my laptop which I bring to course. Is there any tips you have for working on ROOT?

2. For Applied Partial Differential Equations, here is my situation. I took a 4-week summer course of differential equations. It was rather easy for me, but admittedly now I can barely remember much of it. Applied PDE is a graduate level 481 course while diff eqns was an undergrad 220 course. What's the difference between the two? What is partial vs. regular DE.
    Are there any good sites that focus on the material that I can browse? What is the main few ideas/things that anyone taking applied PDE is going to learn?
    Is it possible that I am in over my head in this course? I've done extremely well in all my math courses prior.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2016 #2

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

If you've got experience with C++, ROOT will be intuitive. Go through the tutorials on the CERN website.

You could very well be over your head with the graduate level PDE course. Didn't they offer an undergraduate one?

PDE's deal with multidimensional problems(more than one variable) and their partial derivatives, while ODE's (what it sounds like you took) are a special case, which are one dimensional.

4. Jan 10, 2016 #3

RJLiberator

Gold Member

The courses concerning diff eq's goes from Math 220 Differential equations to Math 480 Applied Diff EQ to Math 481 Applied Partial Diff Eq.

No other courses for Diff EQ are listed in between them or afterwards.

5. Jan 10, 2016 #4

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Interesting, maybe you won't be over your head then. Kind of curious they don't have the course offered at an undergrad level.

Take a look at http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/IntroPDE.aspx, that should help you some if you review before before class starts. (Or get's too serious)

PDE's are incredibly useful for the physical sciences, enjoy.

6. Jan 10, 2016 #5

RJLiberator

Gold Member

:). Excellent. When I saw the course available to my schedule I was very happy to try it out for this reason.

The link you supplied me looks great. I will keep it handy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook