Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
  • #5,846
For some reason this brought me to look up apparent magnitudes of different objects in the sky. Found this on Wikipedia:
1712663313693.png

Apparently Betelgeuse is expected to be almost as bright as a full Moon when it goes boom. Easily visible during the day (assuming it is on the right side).

Just imagine all we would learn from the neutrino signal alone! Some precision neutrino astronomy right there, waiting to be made.

Likes dextercioby, collinsmark and Borg
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #5,847
Orodruin said:
Nova, not supernova.

A star that goes supernova will not do so again.
Neutron stars near an ordinary star may suck off hydrogen until the intense gravity and heat triggers a star-wide thermonuclear explosion. They can do that over and over. I don't know what the catchword is.

• #5,848
After witnessing the eclipse, I tried to imagine how terrifying it would appear to people not knowing what was happening. TIL it actually may have stopped a war:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Eclipse said:
The Battle of the Eclipse (or Battle of Halys) was fought in the early 6th century BC in Anatolia (present-day Turkey) between the Medes and the Lydians. According to ancient Greek historian Herodotus, the battle was interrupted by "day turning into night" – presumably a solar eclipse – and the result was a draw which led to both parties negotiating a peace treaty and ending a six-year war.

• Wow
Likes pinball1970
  • #5,849
TIL about ancient technology:

• #5,851
jtbell said:
TIL that the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency still uses 5.25 inch floppy disks to boot up its Automatic Train Control System that runs light-rail trains in the Market Street subway.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...-to-help-run-san-francisco-trains-until-2030/

There are enough expensive legacy systems operating, that someone would surely have come up with a floppy drive emulator interface that would plug into the older buses (e.g. IDE, IIRC)? You could then use a USB drive to run those old machines. This would delay the expense of redeveloping a high investment solution from scratch, of course. For example there are some very expensive microwave test instruments that are perfectly good but use obsolete operating systems and removable storage.

• #5,852
TIL that Harvard has returned to requiring standardized test results in admissions applications. They observed that while such results are biased, grades and letters of recommendation and personal essays are even more biased. Daddy Warbucks could hire a coach to help Annie with that essay.

Henry Ford II got kicked out of college after he handed in his senior thesis. Within the sheets was an invoice from the writing service.

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes OmCheeto, strangerep, BillTre and 2 others
  • #5,853
Things are getting warmer:

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 7.42.28 AM.png

• Wow
  • Sad
Likes collinsmark, OmCheeto and pinball1970