Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
  • #1,051
jtbell said:
Today I learned that in some parts of the UK, the word "trump" has an interesting meaning. I'm surprised that it hasn't become more widely known during this election cycle in the US.
It probably is an association of trumpet.
From now on things become weird ...
Trumpet is an old French word "trompe" or "trompette" originating probably in an old Germanic word basically without changing the meaning.
However, Trump is the direct translation of the German word "Trumpf" which is a) due to Trump's (rather recent) German ancestors and b) a still common family name in today's Germany. And now you have to be strong: The origin is ''Triumph", French "triomphe" both originating in the Latin word "triumphus" for victory, ceremonial march celebrating a victory.

Btw: Trump's and Heintz' (MI, the one who invented my favorite ketch-up) grand-grand-fathers or so come from the same very small village in Germany. (I think round about 800 inhabitants with still living relatives.)

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,052
fresh_42 said:
Btw: Trump's and Heintz' (MI, the one who invented my favorite ketch-up) grand-grand-fathers or so come from the same very small village
Heinz also make baked beans. Just sayin'.

• #1,053
Ibix said:
Heinz also make baked beans. Just sayin'.
I know. I've bought one out of curiosity. But it's more a British kind of diet. I have no idea how to make a meal out of it so it's still closed.

What made me angry about the ketch-up is: they vary their mixture depending on in which country it's going to be sold! Once I came back home from a holiday in Spain and ran into the next supermarket to buy the "hot chili" version. What a disappointment!

• #1,054
fresh_42 said:
I know. I've bought one out of curiosity. But it's more a British kind of diet. I have no idea how to make a meal out of it so it's still closed.
Baked beans are a side dish, traditionally eaten with hot dogs. If I were in Europe, I would eat them with some sort of good schnitzel and sauerkraut. The only people who made a whole meal of just baked beans were probably cowboys. At any rate, they're known as "cowboy food."

Slow cooking beans by baking them was probably first practiced by North American Indians. Since they also were the first to make maple syrup, I would suppose they were the first to add it to baked beans. The addition of "salt pork," chunks of salted pork fat, must have come from settlers, since the Indians didn't have pigs before white contact. The famous Boston recipe is to flavor them with molasses and salt pork, but I think maple syrup is much better.

Baked beans from a can are not likely to be the best, so when you get around to eating them, don't judge based on that experience. The only real baked beans are homemade.

• #1,055
fresh_42 said:

Just with a good sausage and cooked potatoes is great already.
I like them cold or heated. When I heat them I usually add a bit of onion and garlic (like a small onion and single clove of garlic fried until soft)
Leftovers are great for breakfast, beans on toast make a great breakfast which gives a lot of energy.

• #1,056
zoobyshoe said:
If I were in Europe, I would eat them with some sort of good schnitzel and sauerkraut.
I have never seen or heard of somebody combining this.

• #1,057
Baked beans should be served with bacon, sausage, fried mushrooms, and fried bread. Typically also a fried egg, although I'm allergic so I don't. Hash browns and tomatoes are optional.

Or just on toast.

• #1,058
And Black Pudding ?

Better though is Bacon and Laverbread with fried potatoes and tankard of Double Dragon .

Cockles fried with Bacon for a special treat . Just fresh bread and salty butter with this .

• #1,059
Ibix said:
Baked beans should be served with bacon, sausage, fried mushrooms, and fried bread. Typically also a fried egg, although I'm allergic so I don't. Hash browns and tomatoes are optional.

Or just on toast.
Bacon and sausage sounds good. Maybe I add rice instead of potatoes. If you say "bread" to me, it is like saying "wine" to a Frenchman, "cheese" to a Swissman or "whisky" to a Scotsman - or "simultaneous" to a physicist.

• #1,060
Today I learned (if the claim is actually correct, which I haven't confirmed) that the world's supplies for the making of Vitreous China come from the United States.

• #1,061
collinsmark said:
Today I learned (if the claim is actually correct, which I haven't confirmed) that the world's supplies for the making of Vitreous China come from the United States.
Considering the materials needed I seriously doubt that. I found a swiss company selling armatures covered with it. I cannot imagine it would pay off to import it while all ingredients are available at their front door.

• #1,062
fresh_42 said:
What does that matter?

• #1,063
zoobyshoe said:
What does that matter?
Nothing. I merely wanted to state that Europeans don't combine schnitzel and sauerkraut.
However, you would enjoy the things they combine anyway. I have never met an American who wasn't delighted by local dishes.

Likes OCR and Sophia
  • #1,064
fresh_42 said:
Nothing. I merely wanted to state that Europeans don't combine schnitzel and sauerkraut.
Of course they don't. I meant to say "wurst." It came out sounding like I had typed "schnitzel" because I was typing with my mouth full.

Likes fresh_42, OCR, Silicon Waffle and 1 other person
  • #1,065
fresh_42 said:
Sometimes we have cooked beans with baked meat and garlic. I can imagine beans with schnitzel instead of potatoes, why not. We often have peas with schnitzel or fried chicken. I guess it would be similar.
I don't remember if I ate baked beans, probably not. One day, I might find the recipe and try them.

• #1,066
fresh_42 said:
However, you would enjoy the things they combine anyway. I have never met an American who wasn't delighted by local dishes.
BTW do Germans have a custom of cooking goulash outside, on the fire? Or do you prefer barbecue?

• #1,067
Today I learned that you can't do two things at the same time

• #1,068
Sophia said:
BTW do Germans have a custom of cooking goulash outside, on the fire? Or do you prefer barbecue?
I guess the answer is BBQ. What people here usually call "Goulasch" has little to do with gulyás. I remember once walking through an old part of town where tourists are wooed in at night where there was an outside chalk board announcing "Segediner Goulasch". Well, it happened to be that I had a piece of chalk in my pocket and I couldn't resist and added the missing 'z' on the board. A few seconds later I had to struggle to escape the landlord who was after me ...

Likes Sophia and mfb
  • #1,069
Today I learned that in 1973, a huge fire destroyed most of the U.S. records of military service:

The losses to Federal military records collection included:

• 80% loss to records of U.S. Army personnel discharged November 1, 1912, to January 1, 1960[2]
  • 75% loss to records of U.S. Air Force personnel discharged September 25, 1947, to January 1, 1964, with names alphabetically after Hubbard, James E.[2]
  • Some U.S. Army Reserve personnel who performed their initial active duty for training in the late 1950s but who received final discharge as late as 1964.
None of the records that were destroyed in the fire had duplicate copies made, nor had they been copied to microfilm. No index of these records was made prior to the fire, and millions of records were on loan to the Veterans Administration at the time of the fire. This made it difficult to precisely determine which records were lost.[2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Personnel_Records_Center_fire

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,070
zoobyshoe said:
Today I learned that in 1973, a huge fire destroyed most of the U.S. records of military service:
wow
glad i got Uncle Bud's. He flew the P38 that photographed Hiroshima that day.

• #1,071
jim hardy said:
wow
glad i got Uncle Bud's. He flew the P38 that photographed Hiroshima that day.
Damn! Talk about historical significance.

I'm just trying to find out what happened to one of my grandfathers in WWI. There's one family story that he was stepped on by a horse at the front (they used horses and mules to pull artillery around in the mud), and there's another story that he was gassed at the front. I was hoping, the military being what it is, that they kept meticulous medical records, but, whether or not they did, the odds are now that his records were destroyed in that fire. My other grandfather also served in WWI, but we don't know any details whatever in his case. All children of both are also now dead.

• #1,072
We ought to have a book of family anecdotes
imagine if that were a cultural tradition how much richer history would be.
We only know snippets from whatever letters and diaries happened to be saved.

Everybody has some colorful characters in their past family tree .

FamilyTree.jpg

courtesy Norman Rockwell Museum, http://www.nrm.org/thinglink/text/FamilyTree.html

Last edited:
Likes OCR
  • #1,073
jim hardy said:
We ought to have a book of family anecdotes
imagine if that were a cultural tradition how much richer history would be.
We only know snippets from whatever letters and diaries happened to be saved.

Everybody has some colorful characters in their past .
Nice idea. I'm always sad when someone of previous generations dies. So many anecdotes, funny stories, recipes and so on lost forever.

• #1,074
Today I learned that in Brazil, snakes bite 30,000 people a year.

• #1,075
Today I was reminded that we have ridiculously ineffective legal system.
A man who killed a 11 yr old girl and than masturbated near her dead body only got 7.5 years behind bars .You know , he was only 15 years old at the time!
After he was released, he attempted to rape another woman (unsuccessfully), and only got 7 years again plus sexuological therapy.
After having gone through the therapy and still in prison, he caught pigeons and tortured them in very disgusting ways. He was repeatedly caught masturbating with their dead bodies.

He will be set free in 2019 unless he's sentenced for animal abuse. But that is not a serious crime here.

Source : local magazine

• #1,076
as if there were a fair market value for that young girl's life.
"Paid my debt to society" is hogwash.
Hammurabi's "eye for an eye" is barbarism.
The purpose of prison is to rehabilitate and failing that, to protect the rest of us from such characters.
Society needs that guy locked up or dead.

sorry for digression but i have strong feelings on that subject.

Likes Sophia
  • #1,077
Following from the above, somewhat depressingly, today I learned that the expression "the law is an ass" dates back to at least 1653.

• #1,078
TIL what is "Serotonin Syndrome" (actually it was Monday)
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/serotonin-syndrome/basics/symptoms/con-20028946
Serotonin syndrome symptoms usually occur within several hours of taking a new drug* or increasing the dose of a drug you're already taking. Signs and symptoms include:

• Agitation or restlessness
  • Confusion
  • Rapid heart rate and high blood pressure
  • Dilated pupils
  • Loss of muscle coordination or twitching muscles
  • Muscle rigidity
  • Heavy sweating
  • Diarrhea
  • Headache
  • Shivering
  • Goose bumps
Severe serotonin syndrome can be life-threatening. Signs and symptoms include:

• High fever
  • Seizures
  • Irregular heartbeat
  • Unconsciousness

* jf you take savella read up on possible interactions with painkillers (like fentanyl.)

• #1,079
Today I learned that Facebook demands government ID to sign up.

• #1,080
Hornbein said:
About a year ago, I wanted to create a second profile. I wanted to use one for family and acquaintances and one for very close friends where I could post statuses and like and share things without worrying that some contacts would see them (I didn't want to share anything sexual and I don't attend any parties so don't have any drunk photos either, there were simply things about my other interests, thoughts and feelings that I don't want to share with everyone,)
Of course, fb blocked the other account in a few hours and demanded my ID card. You can only have one profile. I tried creating the second one maybe 3 times and they blocked them almost immediately. I only use fb for situations when it is the only way to keep in touch with someone and I used it to join a student group from my teaching course.
What also irritates me is the privileges that android apps demand. I want to play a game, why would it need all my contacts and media and camera? I don't need a game that posts my progress to all my Google contacts. The worst thing is that you can't ban or manage the privileges individually. You either install the app or not. That's what I hate about android.
Hornbein said:

• #1,081
Sophia said:
What also irritates me is the privileges that android apps demand. I want to play a game, why would it need all my contacts and media and camera?

"You have zero privacy anyway. Get over it." -- Scott Nealy, CEO Sun Microsystems.

Likes Sophia
  • #1,082
Hornbein said:
This wasn't true when I joined, and I haven't been asked to re-apply or anything.

Going to the "sign-up" page, I don't see any box or anything for government ID. Do you encounter this after the first page? What are you supposed to do, attach a scan of your drivers license? Some of my friends seem to have more than one profile.

• #1,083
zoobyshoe said:
What are you supposed to do, attach a scan of your drivers license?

Yes.

I have read that Facebook may at any time shut down your account and demand ID.

• #1,084
Hornbein said:
Yes.

I have read that Facebook may at any time shut down your account and demand ID.
Where did you read that?

Likes Sophia
  • #1,085
zoobyshoe said:
Where did you read that?
Nevermind. I googled and there's lots about it. It started in 2013.