Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
  • #3,256
Today I learned how to write “Gauss” in German. It is written as ##Gau\beta##. Haha! I learned it from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,257
TIL that there is a special category in linguistics: Spock Speak:
Spock Speak is characterized, among other things, by the following special features: the extremely strict insistence on correct use of words and correct grammar. Almost total renunciation of contradictions. An almost ridiculous accuracy in numbers.
Roddenberry had flown a B17 bomber in World War II, and after the war he was a pilot with PanAm. The immature radios of the time made it difficult for the listener to distinguish between yes and no - affirmative ("confirmed") and negative ("negative") were more obvious. Standardized, precise language should also help pilots to express themselves clearly in emergency situations without thinking for a long time. This formulaic is reflected in Spock Speak: The Vulcan played by Leonard Nimoy reacts extraordinarily often with one-word sentences to all possible situations. English "indeed" can be both the answer to the sentence "I could use a coffee now" and a reaction to the statement "They will kill us all".

• Informative
Likes Klystron, BillTre and Keith_McClary
  • #3,258
'Radio Speak' also eliminates confusion. Static, squelch and otherwise poor communication often clips beginning of messages. "I know" is received as "...know" indistinguishable from the general negation "no". To be clear radio operators use "Negative" for "No".

Aside from the inherent sibilant, "Yes" remains less ambiguous. If clipped, note that "less" could be received as "yes". Hence the use of multi-syllabic "Affirmative".

To this day when answering important questions such as "Are you allergic to any medications?", I answer "Negative!". Lately I have dropped "affirmative" in favor of "yes" for affirmation. The extra syllable requires too much effort and also violates precepts of Simplicity. :cool:

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Informative
Likes Keith_McClary and symbolipoint
  • #3,259
Klystron said:
'Radio Speak' also eliminates confusion. Static, squelch and otherwise poor communication often clips beginning of messages.
The misinformation caused by "clearance" versus "take-off" led (as a main reason) to one of the most severe airplane crashes in history KLM 4805 1977.

• Informative
Likes Klystron
  • #3,260
fresh_42 said:
The misinformation caused by "clearance" versus "take-off" led (as a main reason) to one of the most severe airplane crashes in history KLM 4805 1977.
Known to radar and radio people, and pilots as Tenerife, an abject lesson to us all.

• #3,261
army : "say again", because "repeat" is an artillery command.

• Love
Likes Klystron and Bystander
  • #3,262
Today I learned that in Indonesia folks will affix small devices to the feet of pigeons so when they fly it makes a whistling noise. The person who told me he had no idea why it was done.

• #3,263
A while ago I learned to sharpen knives with a stone.

TIL that one should be careful when washing very sharp knives.

• Wow
Likes hmmm27, etotheipi, Klystron and 1 other person
  • #3,264
In Suffolk you get these odd-looking crinkle-crankle walls; turns out it's not a waste of bricks, since the curvy shape means it doesn't require additional buttresses to resist lateral forces and prevent it from toppling!

1591226140433.png

• Informative
Likes hmmm27 and Keith_McClary
  • #3,265
etotheipi said:
In Suffolk you get these odd-looking crinkle-crankle walls; turns out it's not a waste of bricks, since the curvy shape means it doesn't require additional buttresses to resist lateral forces and prevent it from toppling!

View attachment 264087
I have experienced so narrow roads in the south west, that I wonder that they had the place for this. Do they have different habits in the east?

• #3,266
etotheipi said:

View attachment 264087
Suffolk in the US or UK?

• #3,267
Hsopitalist said:
Suffolk in the US or UK?

It's the UK one; I think there are 31 grade II listed walls of this type there :wink:.
fresh_42 said:
I have experienced so narrow roads in the south west, that I wonder that they had the place for this. Do they have different habits in the east?

I'm not actually too sure, I've only ever visited that region about once or twice and can't really remember what the roads were like. Though I had remembered seeing a structure like this so I was quite surprised to see today that it had a purpose 😁. I just did a google search and this guy has put together a list of "confirmed sightings" (everyone needs a hobby, I guess?).

It does seem like a fairly impractical idea space-wise!

• #3,268
etotheipi said:
It's the UK one; I think there are 31 grade II listed walls of this type there :wink:.I'm not actually too sure, I've only ever visited that region about once or twice and can't really remember what the roads were like. Though I had remembered seeing a structure like this so I was quite surprised to see today that it had a purpose 😁. I just did a google search and this guy has put together a list of "confirmed sightings" (everyone needs a hobby, I guess?).

It does seem like a fairly impractical idea space-wise!

There must be examples up here in the Northeast then as well.

• #3,269
TIL that archeologists have found evidence of "first Americans" in Brazil which dates back 30,000 years.
And -14,500 for North America. So Clovis first is no longer valid.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes Klystron and BillTre
  • #3,270
Hsopitalist said:
Suffolk in the US or UK?
In the US they are called "serpentine walls." The most well known (?) are at University of Virginia, designed by Thomas Jefferson.

• Informative
Likes Keith_McClary and etotheipi
  • #3,271
Can a rod that passes through only one hole of a double torus be made to pass through both, without tearing or merging? A fun topology puzzle 😁:

Likes Ibix
  • #3,272
etotheipi said:
Can a rod that passes through only one hole of a double torus be made to pass through both, without tearing or merging? A fun topology puzzle 😁:
I take it you are familiar with the correct way to slice a bagel?

• Love
Likes DrGreg and etotheipi
  • #3,273
Ibix said:
I take it you are familiar with the correct way to slice a bagel?

I've been enlightened; I've been doing it wrong my whole life! Though I'm not sure I quite buy this part :wink::
"You can toast them in a toaster oven while linked together"
But it sure beats this thing of nightmares...:

1591910135320.png

I can feel it staring into my soul o_O

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Likes collinsmark and Ibix
  • #3,274
etotheipi said:
Though I'm not sure I quite buy this part
A toaster oven is basically a standalone grill (not what we Brits would call a toaster, if that's what you are thinking of), and I can confirm that you can toast the linked halves in a grill. It's a faff, as is spreading anything on the bagel to eat, but I did it a couple of times years ago for nerd-cred. Use low heat and keep the bagels as far from the flame/element as possible - they don't lie flat and the raised bits tend to burn.

The spherical dog is somewhat horrific.

• Informative
Likes etotheipi
  • #3,276
Ah okay, that makes more sense. I can't cook to save my life, though I can at least say that I've gotten pretty good at microwaving. Who knows, maybe I'll branch out and learn how to grill bagels before uni :wink:. Although I'd probably just end up absolutely scorching them...

• #3,277
Ibix said:
Physicists are more accustomed to:
Spot_the_cow.gif

• Love
Likes collinsmark, etotheipi and mfb
  • #3,278
Ibix said:
Reminds me of a puffer fish:
Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 7.33.00 PM.png

• Haha
Likes Adesh and etotheipi
  • #3,279
Evolution of the user interface:
Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 3.14.47 PM.png

Likes DennisN, Klystron and david2
  • #3,280
  • Haha
Likes DennisN
  • #3,281
Reminded by the trench run computer above, from Diary of a Crazed Mimbanite:

Red 5, your targetting computer's off!

It's ok - the voices in my head told me to do that.

• Haha
Likes DennisN and etotheipi
  • #3,282
1591979981038.png

Likes Adesh, DennisN, Klystron and 1 other person
  • #3,283
Ibix said:
Red 5, your targetting computer's off!

It's ok - the voices in my head told me to do that.

It's okay! The entire rebellion on Yavin IV is about to be blown to pieces by a huge planet-killing superlaser, but some robe-wearing hermit who I've known for like 3 or 4 days at best tells me things will be just fine if I completely fluke this one-in-a-million shot into a foot wide thermal exhaust port!

Likes BillTre
  • #3,284
TIL that womp rats are 2 meters in size while exhaust ports are only 1 foot.

Likes etotheipi
  • #3,285
jbriggs444 said:
TIL that womp rats are 2 meters in size while exhaust ports are only 1 foot.

My bad, you're quite right! I just eyeballed (guessed...) the figure.

Galen Erso sure wasn't taking any chances!

• #3,286
TIL

There is a craze in Saudi Arabia called sidewalk skiing which involves driving on two wheels of a car either drivers or passenger side.

• #3,287
Keith_McClary said:

I recognize the blue ones and grey ones from my childhood. :smile:
Ah, Lego Space. But I liked Lego Technics even more; I remember building an AT-AT that could walk (it had a motor). And I also remember me and my friend shooting at the AT-AT with an air rifle. :biggrin:

• #3,288
Today I learned that "optimism is just a lack of experience". :smile:
(I read it somewhere on the net and had a laugh)

Likes Adesh and fresh_42
  • #3,289
DennisN said:
Today I learned that "optimism is just a lack of experience". :smile:
(I read it somewhere on the net and had a laugh)
I have heard it from a German stand-up comedian, who called it "lack of information".

Likes DennisN