Top Physics Colleges at Oxford for 2007 Entry - Find Your Perfect Fit

• Thread starter QueenFisher
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of applying to Oxford for physics and the various colleges within the university. There is a mention of a friend who had a good experience at Hartford for physics, but another person suggests going to Cambridge for their NatSci program with options for math and computer science. The conversation also mentions the importance of math in physics and the idea that there is no significant advantage in choosing one college over another at Cambridge. The suggestion is to choose a college based on personal preferences and to attend open days or visit the colleges to get a better idea.
QueenFisher
i'm thinking of applying to oxford for physics (2007 entry) and i looked at the prospectus today and there're so many different colleges and they all look good, I've no idea which one i should apply to. does anyone know which are especially good in physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Friend got an excellent physics degree from Hartford. Had a rubbish time there though.

Go to Cambridge.

NatSci confuses me and I'm not doing chemistry or biology so there's only 2 of the 8 modules for the first year that i could do, even for the physical sciences, and you're supposed to choose 3

You could pick maths 1st year or 25% comp sci. I'm off to some oxbridge conference near the end of the month. I'm thinking about physics at Cambridge, under NatSci option, with maybe 1st year maths as the other option.

If you do that maths with physics option you'd do 75% the maths courses and 25% the physics ones (with 3 of the 6 modules you do in the maths course being 'applied' too). At the end of the 1st year you get the choice of doing the maths course or the physics course.

I used to want to do physics when I was in 6th form but I'm glad I picked maths because there's plenty of applied things to do in maths, and if you plan to do high energy physics, you need to do a lot of maths (even the pure stuff!).

I cannot speak for Oxford, but at Cambridge you'd get no real advantage or disadvantage going for one college over another, because you all attend the same lectures, and the average qualities of supervisors (which supervisors you get depends on your college since most use their own PhD students and fellows) is the same across the colleges. Even in maths, colleges like Trinity doesn't have a vastly superior bunch of supervisors, despite there being some image Trinity is head and shoulders above all the other colleges, it isn't (and I'm not saying that because I go to a different college, I'm in Trinity!).

You'd be much better off picking the college you like the look of, whose location is nice, seems to have a nice social scene (all do really though). Going on an open day or two is a very good idea. If you cannot make open days, just go when you can and have a wander around a few colleges which you like the look of from their prospectuses. Some charge you to walk around the grounds, but if you explain you're looking at colleges with plans to apply you might be let in free. That or ring the college a few days before and ask if you can look round, most are happy to let you do so free.

thanks everyone!

Related to Top Physics Colleges at Oxford for 2007 Entry - Find Your Perfect Fit

1. What are the top physics colleges at Oxford for 2007 entry?

The top physics colleges at Oxford for 2007 entry were University College, Balliol College, and St. John's College.

2. How were these colleges selected as the top physics colleges?

The colleges were selected based on their reputation for excellence in physics education, research opportunities, and graduate employment prospects.

3. Are these colleges still considered top physics colleges at Oxford?

While rankings may have shifted since 2007, these colleges are still highly regarded for their physics programs and continue to produce successful graduates in the field.

4. Are there any specific requirements for applying to these colleges?

Each college may have its own specific requirements, but in general, successful applicants should have a strong background in mathematics and physics, good grades, and a passion for the subject.

5. Can I still apply to these colleges for 2007 entry?

No, the application deadline for 2007 entry has passed. However, if you are interested in attending one of these colleges, you can apply for 2008 entry or later.