1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque and rotational dynamics

1. Nov 29, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A wheel is turning initially at 1200 turns/min and stops in 4 min because of friction. If we add a supplementary torque of 300 N*m, the wheel stops in 1 min.

a) What is the moment of inertia of the wheel?
    b) What is the torque of friction?

2. Relevant equations
    Torque = alpha * I
    time = w/alpha
    f = ucF
    Torque = -fR

3. The attempt at a solution

I figured i'd start by converting the 1200 turns/min into rad/sec

(1200 *2pi)/60 = 126 rad/sec (this gives me angular speed - w)

Then I figured i'd find the angular acceleration using the angular speed that I just found with the time it takes to stop (in this case its 4min or 240seconds).

alpha = 126/240
    = 0.525

Now at first I thought I could just substitute these in the equation Torque = alpha * I but it doesn't work out.
    I then realised that they are saying that there is a SUPPLEMENTARY torque and it then stops in 1min. I thought it would then be something like "initial torque + 300 = something...". Does that make any sense?

Any help to clear this up would be appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2006 #2

radou

Homework Helper

You could think of it this way: [tex]M=\alpha_{1} I[/tex], and [tex]M+300=\alpha_{2} I[/tex]. The additional torque creates a new net torque, which creates a new angular deceleration. Try to work something out from here on. (P.S. Note that the moment of inertia is, of course, the same.)

4. Nov 29, 2006 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You are given two (related) situations with two different accelerations. Find both accelerations, then write two "Torque = alpha * I" equations. Solve both equations together and you'll get your answers.

(Oops... radou beat me to it!)​

5. Nov 29, 2006 #4

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are nearly there. Yes, Torque = alpha * I is a good equation to use.

You have got two cases. In the first one you have the unknown friction torque (call it T) and the wheel stops in 4 min. You worked out the acceleration alpha correctly.

In the second case you have an additional torque so (as you said) the torque is "initial torque + 300 = something" ... well, the "something" is just "T+300". This time the wheel stops in 1 min, so the value of alpha is different.

Using Torque = alpha * I for the two cases will give you 2 equations in the 2 unknowns (T and I) which you can solve.

6. Nov 29, 2006 #5
    Thanks a bunch! I got it :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?