Torque on a 200 kg plank held by a string: why is my answer twice the book's?

  • Thread starter Thread starter tonix
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Torque
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
tonix
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Hi

I have a problem for which the given solution makes no sense to me.

A 200 kg plank of length 2m is attached by a hinge at one of its ends to a wall. It is held in place horizontally by a string. The string breaks and I am supposed to find the torque at that point. (See attached image).

I have that torque = r x F which gives me a torque vector with a magnitude of 9.8 m/s^2 * 2m * 200kg = 3920 Nm.
The solution the book gives, however, is half of that, ie 1960Nm.

Could somebody either reassure me that the book is wrong or clarify where I made a mistake?

Thank you,
tonix
 
Attachments
  • problem.jpg
    problem.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 486
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I don't know why it is twice more. That is the problem. It seems that r should be 2m for sure. I suppose it could be F since the gravity is only acting on half the mass?
 
Nope,gravity affects all mass...Think about the point of application of the gravity force and its whereabouts wrt the rotation point of the rod...

Daniel.
 
ahh... so the overall point of application of the gravity force is in the middle of the rod and therefore r is only 1m instead of 2m?
 
It's actually in the center of mass,but,assuming the mass is distributed uniformly throughout the rod,it would be exactly at the middle.
Yes,that distance is only of 1 meter.


Daniel.