Tracking pieces for robot chess

In summary, a robot arm could be taught to play chess by using RFID to track the pieces and computer vision to track the moves, or by using resistors with physical connections to calculate the piece id and position.
theycallmevirgo
Our school got a robot arm and I was thinking of teaching it to play chess. AI chess is a solved problem, so is moving the arm around. However, I was hoping to at least try to use regular pieces. It would be easy enough to do it with markers, but physical pieces would need to be identified and tracked. So far I thought of

-Computer vision (unreliable)

-RFID (afaik insufficiently accurate at that scale)

-Resistors with physical connections (how would I calculate the piece id and position from resistance?)

Many thanks in advance for any hints

Joe

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds like fun. :smile:

I think a very near-field RFID system could work pretty well. You'd want to use very low power Tx/Rx antenna structures under each of the squares.

You could back that up with just a keyboard entry that the person playing uses to tell the computer about the move it has just made.

Likes trurle
Alternately, you could use a technique that my first computer chess board used (from Radio Shack about 30 years ago). It had a switch under the plastic fabric at each square, and to let the computer know your move, you pressed the piece down on it's existing square to signal the start of the move, and then pushed it down on its new square to signal the end of the move. The board made a "beep" sound with each button push to give tactile/audible feedback.

EDIT -- I found this picture of a similar-looking chess game as an illustration. But I see now that they are advertising some sort of "sensor" capability to track the pieces. It may just be the same pushbutton technique with the addition of magnets in the pieces to actuate reed relays under the squares, or it may be more comprehensive. It may be worth it for you to look more into this game to see what they are calling the "sensor" capability/feature:

http://www.spacious-mind.com/html/sensor.html
1573658776970.png

theycallmevirgo said:
Our school got a robot arm and I was thinking of teaching it to play chess. AI chess is a solved problem, so is moving the arm around. However, I was hoping to at least try to use regular pieces. It would be easy enough to do it with markers, but physical pieces would need to be identified and tracked. So far I thought of

-Computer vision (unreliable)

-RFID (afaik insufficiently accurate at that scale)

-Resistors with physical connections (how would I calculate the piece id and position from resistance?)

Many thanks in advance for any hints

Joe
Machine vision may be easier than you think - if you attach a small sticker with QR code to each chess piece.

On the other hand, most reliable way may be still an RFID - to hide a passive, trimmable LC resonator inside each piece. You need to place VCO and induction coil in robot arm, and read out both piece ID (from response frequency) and piece distance (from response magnitude).

I would advice against "physical" (i.e. DC connected) resistors - these are notoriously unreliable. Especially whenever a greasy hands are involved.

If the arm is moving the pieces it could have a memory of where each piece is on the board.
You would tell it which piece to pickup and where to move it. The new layout is then back in memory.
Your opponent would then do the same.

If you are playing against the computer it will need to have this memory anyways to plan its own moves.
No need for an active method of determining the layout for each play.

The one problem to solve then is how the arm is to grip each piece, as king, queen knight, bishop, rook, pawn all have different "heads" and "bodies".

256bits said:
The one problem to solve then is how the arm is to grip each piece, as king, queen knight, bishop, rook, pawn all have different "heads" and "bodies".
The solution is called "universal gripper".

Likes 256bits
As long as we don't knock over adjacent pieces.
I suppose a suction on the top of the piece would do it - another engineering system to design and test.

Likes trurle

1. How do tracking pieces work in robot chess?

Tracking pieces in robot chess use sensors and computer algorithms to detect and track the movement of chess pieces on the board. The sensors can be either physical (such as cameras or touch sensors) or virtual (using computer vision). The algorithms use this information to determine the position and movement of each piece, allowing the robot to make strategic moves.

2. Can tracking pieces be used in all types of chess games?

Yes, tracking pieces can be used in any type of chess game, including traditional chess, speed chess, and even variants such as 3D chess. As long as the game follows the basic rules and setup of traditional chess, the tracking pieces can be programmed to track and move the pieces accordingly.

3. How accurate are tracking pieces in robot chess?

The accuracy of tracking pieces in robot chess depends on the quality of the sensors and algorithms used. With advanced technology, tracking pieces can have a high level of accuracy, often surpassing human players. However, there may still be occasional errors or glitches, so it is important for the robot to have the ability to correct and adjust its moves.

4. Do tracking pieces make robot chess more challenging?

Yes, tracking pieces can make robot chess more challenging as it adds a level of complexity and strategy to the game. The robot must not only make strategic moves, but also accurately track and anticipate the opponent's moves. This can make the game more exciting and unpredictable.

5. Are there any limitations to using tracking pieces in robot chess?

One limitation of using tracking pieces in robot chess is that the sensors and algorithms may not be able to detect and track certain types of chess pieces, such as transparent or reflective pieces. In addition, the robot may also be limited by its processing speed and memory, which can affect its ability to make quick and accurate moves.