Trajectory/velocity/time question

• Thread starter Puchiko
  • Start date
In summary, a tourist walking alongside a vehicle carrying a tree log at a velocity of 2 m/s counted 16 steps when walking from the front end to the back end of the log and 112 steps when walking from the back end to the front end. The length of his step is 0.75 m. From this information, the velocity of the vehicle is 1.5 m/s and the length of the log is 21 m. This was calculated by combining the equations T1*(Vp + Vt) = L and T2*(Vp - Vt) = L, where Vp is the velocity of the person, Vt is the velocity of the truck, and T1 and T2 are
Puchiko

Homework Statement

(I'm translating the problem from Slovak, so it might sound a bit choppy at times-my apologies)
There's a road. On the road, there's a moving vehicle carrying a tree log, and a tourist is walking alongside the vehicle. The tourist's velocity is 2 m/s, and he wants to know how long the log is. When he walks from the front end to the back end of the log (keep in mind the log is moving in the opposite direction) he counts 16 steps. When walking from the back end to the front end of the log, he counts 112 steps (the vehicle is now moving in the opposite direction than the tourist). The length of his step is 0.75 m.
a) What is the velocity of the vehicle?
b) What is the length of the log?

Homework Equations

s=t.v
s...trajectory
t...time
v...velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm rather stumped. I converted the tourists steps:
It took him 12m and 6s to walk from the front to the back end of the vehicle.
It took him 84m and 42s to walk from the back to the front end of the vehicle.
And that's about as far as I got. I could calculate the vehicle velocity if I had the log length, just like I could calculate the log length if I had the velocity. But having neither?

I also deduced he must be moving quicker than the vehicle, because he managed to reach the front end from the back one.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

It seems like the length of the log can be expressed as

T1*(Vp + Vt) = L

And T2*(Vp - Vt) = L

Where Vp is the velocity of the person, Vt the Velocity of the truck.

T1 and T2 you already figured looks like.

So, I put together the equation by combining yours, and calculated the thing. My results are
a) The speed of the vehicle is 1,5 m/s.
b) The log is 21 m long.

Can anyone check my results? Thanks.

Also, though I get how you got the first equation (since they're moving in the same direction, it's just time multiplied by their combined speed), I don't understand how I'd put together the second one. Can you explain? Thankies, and thanks so much for your help-I thought I was never going to solve it!

Puchiko said:
So, I put together the equation by combining yours, and calculated the thing. My results are
a) The speed of the vehicle is 1,5 m/s.
b) The log is 21 m long.

Can anyone check my results? Thanks.

Also, though I get how you got the first equation (since they're moving in the same direction, it's just time multiplied by their combined speed), I don't understand how I'd put together the second one. Can you explain? Thankies, and thanks so much for your help-I thought I was never going to solve it!

That's what I get anyway.

In the one you are walking against the speed of the log. So in relative terms the end of the log is approaching the walker at the combined rates of their speeds.

In the other he is walking toward the front of the truck and the front end of the log at the rate of his speed less the speed that the truck is moving since it's moving in the same direction he is.

In both he walks the length of the log at the effective rate in the time given by his walking speed and length of stride.

Thanks for all your help, it is appreciated.

1. What is the relationship between trajectory, velocity, and time?

The trajectory of an object is the path it follows through space, while velocity is the speed and direction at which the object is moving. Time is a measure of the duration of the object's motion. The relationship between these three factors is described by the equation velocity = distance/time. This means that an object's velocity is directly proportional to the distance it travels and inversely proportional to the time it takes to travel that distance.

2. How do you calculate the trajectory of an object?

The trajectory of an object can be calculated using the equation trajectory = initial velocity x time + (1/2 x acceleration x time^2). This equation takes into account the initial velocity of the object, the time it has been traveling, and the acceleration due to gravity. By plugging in these values, the trajectory of the object can be determined.

3. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of an object?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect the trajectory of an object by slowing it down as it moves through the air. This can cause the object to deviate from its intended path, making it follow a curved trajectory instead of a straight line. The amount of air resistance an object experiences depends on its shape, size, and speed.

4. Can the trajectory of an object change while its velocity remains constant?

Yes, the trajectory of an object can change while its velocity remains constant. This can happen when the direction of the object's velocity changes, causing it to follow a curved path. For example, a car traveling at a constant velocity on a circular track will have a changing trajectory but a constant velocity.

5. How is the trajectory of an object affected by the force of gravity?

The force of gravity affects the trajectory of an object by pulling it towards the ground. This force causes the object to accelerate towards the Earth, which can result in a curved trajectory. The greater the force of gravity, the steeper the trajectory will be. However, if the object is moving fast enough, it may be able to escape the Earth's gravitational pull and follow a straight trajectory into outer space.