1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transfer options in the LA area?

Tags:
  1. Sep 22, 2014 #1
    I am transferring from Mizzou (MU) to somewhere in the LA area over the summer. What are my best options? I know of caltech and UCLA. Caltech looks really difficult to get into. I probably can't get into Caltech, I assume I could get into UCLA. But is UCLA my best option for future career potential if I fail to get accepted at Caltech?

Total Credit hours: 70 + whatever I take next semester before transferring.
    GPA: Currently at MU 3.912
    I should have modern physics and up to diff EQ before transferring. Most or all genEd are finished.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2014 #2

analogdesign

Science Advisor

USC is excellent. Top Shelf in engineering. Cal Poly Pomona, Cal State Northridge and Long Beach State are also very good in science and engineering. It's not exactly in LA but UC Irvine in Orange County is very good as is Cal State Fullerton.

4. Sep 24, 2014 #3
    Depending on major, you shouldn't have a problem getting into UCLA for physics or any sciences. If you are a engineering major, you have a much harder chance to get in since they give priority to california CC students and the average for most of the engineering students for transfer is a 3.9. Anyways, good luck to you!

5. Sep 25, 2014 #4
    I went to Long Beach State and it was a great school. I would try UCLA first but Long Beach or one of the other State Universities would be a good fall back.

6. Sep 26, 2014 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Your question is terribly vague. You didn't even say what you're majoring in. Surely at your current school, there are tons of resources to help you figure out answers to your questions. Besides the well-known schools, like UCLA, USC, and CalTech, there are many smaller schools in the area, like Harvey Mudd College, that might interest you as well. If all you can come up with is CalTech and UCLA, I'm guessing you haven't consulted those resources yet. Perhaps you should start there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook