1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transferring-should I retake this class?

1. Jul 28, 2015 #1
    I'm going from a community college to a 4 year school-a good one-for physics. I'm starting in the spring which is awkward because I won't have many options for physics classes to take while I'm there other than an honors intro E&M course. I had a really watered down experience with my E&M course at my community college, so I either need to study myself or take an honors course to be prepared for the modern physics class next fall, which is taught with Halliday/Krane. So should I take the honors course or self study?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2015 #2
    My personal suggestion is to just use that spot to take care of a general elective, assuming the course transferred correctly and assuming you still have some to take. For me, personally, EM didn't make sense in my first course, and only after taking calculus 3 and reading through an intermediate electromagnetism book like Griffiths did it start to make sense to me. There's a lot of stuff in electromagnetism that just don't make sense unless you're comfortable with vector calculus, so it seems common that people don't necessarily get full understanding from their intro EM course.

4. Jul 28, 2015 #3
    The honors course uses purcell and assumes vector calculus as a corequesite. I'll have already taken calc 3 when I take the course.

5. Jul 28, 2015 #4
    Then you should be fine. Purcell should be sufficient for you--you end up relearning everything done in your intro EM course, but in a relatively easier manner if you're familiar with the vector calculus concepts of calculus 3.

6. Jul 28, 2015 #5

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

If you believe that any, ANY chance that you are weak in the material, then YES; enroll in the comparable course at the university.

7. Jul 28, 2015 #6
    That was my thought. I'm speaking to an adviser in the coming weeks and I wanted to go in knowing if someone shared my sentiment. Thanks to both of you.

8. Jul 28, 2015 #7

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

PhotonSSBM

I had my own difficult, frustrating experience with not adequately understanding some technical coursework. I earned a B in something, which I did not learn as well as the grade represented, and because of this, I did badly in the next course of the sequence, and NEEDED TO and RESTUDIED BOTH courses.

Your counselor may say go ahead or he may say do again; but the only safe way is, if you are weak to any extent from your E&M course from the c.c., then enroll in the comparable E&M course at your university.

9. Jul 28, 2015 #8
    Oh yeah, definitely. If I wasn't sure before I am now. The professors are really competent at the school I'm going to, so they'll probably agree. But yeah, since I'm eligible for honors classes I may as well take it. I'll be so ahead in the math I'd be stupid not to. Thanks for the insight and story :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook